Sunday, October 16, 2016

Cape Town, going home, part 2

Day 2 on Signal hill with James. My picture.
Having rushed off to James' home in the suburb of Bothasig, a bit inland, after the scary phone call he received that I mentioned in my last blog post, we found that his house mate had switched the water off and things weren't as bad as expected. The geyser had in fact not burst but the inlet pipe had come adrift. Lots of cleaning up, about an hour or so of mopping, and things were almost back to normal. Plumbers were called and two hours later it was all sorted out. That evening we spent in the suburb of Sunningdale near Melkbos where I used to stay. We Made dinner, which I cannot for the life of me remember what it was, and settled in to watch a movie. I didn't get through the whole movie and skootched off to bed early. The next morning we were off to Signal hill for photo opportunities. James is of course a much better photographer than I am and has all the bits and bobs needed for the type of photography he does. Me, well my camera was James' previously but I shoot on manual while he prefers shooting on auto. I like to control everything such as ISO and shutter speed. Anyway I think my pictures are not too bad.
Suburbs on the slopes of Table Mountain. My picture.
We spent a few hours aiming out cameras in different directions and snapped away. It's been a long time since I went up Signal Hill which is sort of on the seaward side of Table Mountain closest to Greenpoint. There were a few Para-gliders launching from the top of the hill which also offered a few laughs.
We left and headed down to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. This is a must visit spot for international tourists and for South Africans too. A bit on the expensive side for me but hey, we were going to have lunch at Key Four, probably one of the best known restaurants in the country. Right on the harbor waterfront amidst boats and tugs. A truly fantastic location. This is probably one of my favorite restaurants of all time.
People enjoying lunch on the Key Four deck in the harbor.
My picture.

We had burgers with chips (french fries) all the while taking pictures and enjoying all the activity on the water. Of course being a restaurant on the harbor front will attract Seagulls in abundance and sure enough there were stacks of them there taking any opportunity to get a beak full that presented itself. Very hard to get a decent shot of these flying aerial acrobats, but what beautiful creatures to have all around you.
Hmm! Forester's Draught with burgers, yum, yum.
My picture.

Well lunch dragged on in a very pleasant manner with all sorts of  boats and people moving around on the water and off. Perfect for taking photographs, no wonder so many people from all over the world rate the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront as their favorite waterfront.
High speed aerial acrobat in action.
My picture.

After a couple of hours relaxation and munching we wandered off around the other parts of the waterfront having a laugh or two along the way. At one point we were walking past a big frame type thing where people stand within the frame and take a photo with Table Mountain in the background. There was a German couple trying to get a picture. The woman was in the frame with the guy taking the picture, they were probably in their sixties, with a tiny little point and shoot camera. Both James and I had our cameras slung around our necks, Canon with large lenses. James walked up to the chap and offered to use their camera to take a shop of both of them together which would make for much better memories. Well this German chap looked at James and myself, hesitated for a moment or two and then replied, "Looking at what cameras you have I suppose it would be safe." This to us was hilarious but in retrospect maybe not so funny. I wonder what kind of reputation South Africa has overseas with regards to theft and muggings.
It's not easy to get lost with signs like this to show you the way
 home. Long way though and you may have to swim. My picture.
That evening James was due to take part in a rehearsal for the Gilbert and Sullivan production of My Fair Lady so I was to spend the evening and next day with Wynand my friend in Melkbos. After wandering around the waterfront for a while James took me off to Wynand's house. That Photograph at the beginning of my previous blog post of Table Mountain was shot on the way to Melkbos. Yes I know it's kind of a dodgy picture but it hasn't been touched up at all and when an opportunity to take a picture like that presents itself, well, what can one do.
We had a rather pleasant day but the time had come for us to part ways, for now. By the time we got to Melkbosstrand the weather was closing in and rain was in the sky waiting for me to get indoors before blessing the earth. 
Ferris wheel at the waterfront. Not quite
as impressive as the London Eye but
still great to photograph. My picture.
Although the weather was fantastic for the time I had spent with James, the time I spent with Wynand was to be a little wetter. I was looking forward to spending time with my friend but not having any form of transport while I was there did prove to be limiting. For the first two days I had to depend on James who also had things he wanted to do so, not wanting to inconvenience him any further I just went along. The next two days I was depending on Wynand and did whatever he had planned, which was also cool. We went to a Post Net outlet where they have a board game gathering and played a few games, played more games with his kids in the evening and then early on Sunday morning Wynand took me back to the airport for my homeward flight.
All in all I had a wonderful time and took way too many pictures (I had to buy an extra memory card to cope with the overload) but it was great to be home again for a short while.
May my Father in Heaven bless Cape Town and all who visit there forever. 
Thank you Lord for blessing me so abundantly, Geoff.




No comments:

Post a Comment