Friday, December 25, 2015

Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas everyone.
All the presents have been handed over to those who are getting them this year, not that there are all that many with me being unemployed but I did gift those I most wanted to. Shelley and James will have to wait a short while so I can make them something when the factory opens again, Myle's factory that is.
As you may already know I'm a carpenter so making nice things isn't a problem. Having a factory with things like C.N.C. machines, panel saws, spray booth and so on does lend itself to high end quality products and being allowed to do whatever is needed there is certainly good for me. Being able to find customers who want things made and are willing to pay for what they want is of course a completely different matter. I don't exactly live in a country where business confidence is at a high level. Stupid A.N.C. government. You would have to have noticed the plunge in the value of the Rand over the past 21 years to understand where I'm coming from. R0.5.00 to the Dollar in 1991 now more than R15.00 for the same Dollar. Oh well, this is Africa, what can I say?
These two chalk boards I made last night in my kitchen as gifts for two little girls I was going to spend Christmas day with. Not a big deal but they did work out quite nice. Everyone else will have to forgive me for the inexpensive gifts they got that were bought, I'm kinda broke at the moment, sorry.
A few of my family members got together on Thursday to celebrate my brother Myle's birthday at his home with his kids and grand kids. It was nice but I was eager to get out of there to go build the two chalk boards, I didn't want to be up all night, there was a Christmas party to go to the next day. :)
I must tell you that the daily temperatures here have been well in excess of 32 degrees Celsius. The night time temperatures, while a little lower are still high enough to keep sleep well at bay. It's been a rough summer so far. Very little rain and very high temperatures. The chalk boards I finished last night at 11 and then could not fall asleep for all my efforts, today I've been exhausted.
Well that;s enough for now, I need to get some shut eye. Merry Christmas everyone, sorry for the rant, I'm just tired.
Blessings from Geoff in Johannesburg South Africa.

4 comments:

  1. Blessings back to you, Geoff. The chalkboards look great! The temp here is: 25 degrees F. We have the fireplace on and are staying indoors. Hope you can be with your family over the Christmas holidays. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome gift, Geoff. I know the little girls will love them. When I was a child, I had a second hand chalk board, and being artistic, I just loved them. They also came in handy teaching 'school lessons' to my dolls. Handmade gifts are better than store bought. Okay, unless they are diamonds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Natalie, welcome back, nice to hear from you again. 25 degrees Fahrenheit wow! That's below freezing point, not really surprising you have a fire going.
    It's been an interesting time over this Christmas period, Christmas eve with my brother and his family, Christmas day with my daughter and her boyfriend's family and boxing day with my sisters and their families, well Felicities family, Toni never had any children. Yesterday I switched off and had a rest day.
    Bless you my friend, glad to have you around again, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy, thanks for the visit.
    Yes I agree with you regarding hand made presents I too prefer to give things I've made. I do sometimes get gifts from other people who have spent time and effort on making something for me, it's humbling. Those presents inevitably have a special place in my home.
    To grow up without a chalk board seems unimaginable to me, both my kids spent many an hour in front of their black board having a whale of a time.
    Bless you my friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete