Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Spring is sprung


Winter is coming, well it is for the northern hemisphere. Here, in the southern hemisphere, spring is on it's way and is noticeable in the strangest of places. For the past few months I've been concerned with the feeding habits of my fish (Malawi Cichlids.) Usually they would come up to the top of the tank in anticipation of being fed which was quite a free for all, however through the winter months they were strangely reticent. I noticed it but didn't link this strange behavior to the seasons at all, I was just worried about them. Now the water temperature didn't drop over winter, I have a heater/thermostat in the tank that takes excellent care of that, the light hasn't changed because of the overhead lighting system. There didn't seem to be any reason for this strange reluctance on their part.That all change two weeks ago. Suddenly my fish seemed to perk up and started looking forward to breakfast and dinner again. I noticed it immediately but was at a bit of a loss as to why, happy but curious.
Last night, while feeding my now eager fish, I got to thinking about it. I have noticed that the temperatures have started to rise, I'm not using my electric blanket on high any more but now only use it to warm up the bed. This, of course, wouldn't affect the tank water temperature nor would the earlier light affect their perception to the degree that it has done so. During winter, even if I only fed them at ten in the morning, long after sunrise, they wouldn't change their new behavior pattern.
The only conclusion I can come to is that these fish in a stable environment are, in their genetic make-up affected by the seasonal changes that we have to deal with in our own unregulated environment. During winter, in the wild, food sources are generally slimmer than in summer or any of the other warmer months, that's why there are so many hatch-lings in spring. This makes sense to me, God works that way, less food available, less activity and less energy expenditure. It's a survival thing as far as I can tell.
 I would love to know what you think, is this possible or am I just being ridiculous?
Leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Many animal species have their own, separate internal clocks. Perhaps your fish do, too?
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost missed this post...seeing just the picture I didn't realise and went on to the second one.. LOL..getting old. Anyhow, that is strange to me about warming up the water and how when there is less food survival kicks in and less is eaten.. You have made me see fish differently. They seem to have personalities like other creatures.. God is so amazing.. and, your country is approaching winter??? We are into spring next week. I find the changing of seasons and how opposite we are in different parts of the world amazing also. Well, I have yattered your head off...lovely to see you here and know that all is well. Blessings Mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting thought. I think you're right, although I'm no expert. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what to think about the fish. I guess all living things have to find some way to adapt or just die off.

    I do know that here in Los Angeles I'm sick of this hot weather we've been having this summer. Maybe it's all a precursor to the El Nino weather they're predicting for this winter. All I know is that I'm ready for some cold weather. I wish we'd get some snow.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete