Sunday, July 19, 2015

Geoff's upcoming African Safari

source
I've been stuck in Johannesburg for nearly two years now and the wanderlust has set in big time but next week I'll be heading off to the Kruger National Park on the border of Mozambique. Very exciting.
 This game reserve is the biggest nature reserve in Africa and is in the north east of the country. Established at the end of the 1800's  by the, then president, of the Transvaal, Paul Kruger, it was intended for the protection of the wild life in the area, well done Paul. It's big, about 20 000 square kilometers, and is home to a huge variety of plants and animals including the Big Five, the African Lion, the African Elephant, the African Leopard, the Cape Buffalo and the Rhinoceros, all very scary animals that will kill you at the drop of a hat. I'll be careful to keep my hat on :).
source
As a child in about 1967 we came here as a family, I don't remember much about that trip but do remember going to Sabi Sabi. I must have been about twelve at the time, long, long ago. This time I'll be going to a private game lodge, Xikukutu Game Lodge owned by Shelley's boyfriend's family in the Klaserie private Game reserve which is part of the Kruger Park. We won't be staying in a tented camp but in bungalows for five days and four nights.  It is a self catering camp so we all have certain meals to prepare and serve, Shelley, Jason and myself will be preparing dinner on Wednesday evening, our first night there. Mexican Soup with Soda bread baked on the fire
source
 served with a nice South African Sauvignon Blank to wash it down and possibly a medium cream sherry to round off the evening. We will also be making breakfast on Thursday morning, scrambled eggs on toast with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes served with freshly squeezed orange juice and sparkling wing. Apparently the rest of those coming ( ten of us on Wednesday and another four on Thursday) are extremely competitive so we will be setting the tone for the rest of the stay. Yes I can cook and entertain quite well when the situation demands. We have to take all the ingredients with us so I'm in for a shopping spree this coming week.
I will be taking lots of photographs of the preparation and presentation as well as everyone enjoying their time together to post here when I'm ready but for now I've had to get images from the net. Archibald and Minnie, my dogs, will be staying with my sister Toni for the weekend while Tiny, Olive and my fish will be looked after by one of my neighbors daughters, they will be fine I'm sure.
Shelley, Jason and I will leave here at about 5 am on Wednesday morning and take a leisurely drive of about 6 hours, stopping on the way  for breakfast in one of the small towns and also to take photographs along the way. I must tell you that this has come at exactly the right time, I really need this. Thank you Lord, you always know what I need and when to bring it about.
Writing this post has been a tremendous blessing for me and I look forward to telling you all about what it's been llike when I eventually do get back.
Blessings in the name of Jesus to all of you, Geoff.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful adventure! I'll be looking forward to your posts.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled for you Geoff! Can't wait to see your photos, I have no doubt they will be awesome. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, totally awesome. I am glad for you and I also believe this is perfect timing. I think it will give you a new perspective on things and this is going to be the beginning of a change in your life. I am sure you will have no problem whatsoever entertaining and being entertained. Taking the guitar? Writing about Africa and your experiences is what we all find interesting. Write about what so many others can only dream about doing. And keep your hat on, my FFAF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Barbara, thanks for the visit.
    Yes, Geoff is going on an Africa adventure again. At last. As you know, I'll write all about it with pictures for all my blogging friends. (That includes you of course :) )
    Hello Gill, welcome back.
    Yes I'm very pleased too. Awesome? Of course. Not too sure of what I'll be able to photograph but I'm hoping to get some really great wild life pictures, we'll see.
    Hi Joy, wondered where you've been for a while now, glad to hear from you again. No I won't be taking my guitar with, too much space taken up with groceries and other goodies needed for a week in the bush. Yeah, I've come to realize that Africa is a bit out of most people's reach but hey, this is my home and that much I can certainly write about. Pretty much what most of us write about, that's what makes blogging to interesting.
    Yes, my hat will stay firmly plonked on my head. :)
    Blessings my friends and thanks for the visit, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete