Sunday, July 26, 2015

Geoff's upcoming African Safari part 2


Some of the ingredients for dinner and brunch.
Preparation is, by now, well on the way for Wednesday's dinner and Thursday's brunch. There are a few things I didn't take into account, fresh drinking water and toilet paper for example. We are after all going into the bush, well not quite, we will be staying in a self catering lodge. I do know that the water available there is not drinkable but I'm sure there will be toilet paper, we'll see. We will have to buy some fire wood on the way because I've been told that it is scarce at the lodge, any we don't use must be left behind.
Not having baked Soda Bread before I decided to first try it at home. The recipe I'm using calls for Self Raising flour, Buttermilk and baking soda with a touch of salt. Because Buttermilk in this country comes in 500 ml containers I had to adjust the ingredient quantities to accommodate the increase in buttermilk.
IRISH SODA BREAD.
Geoff's first attempt at Irish Soda Bread.
500 grams self raising flour.
500 ml Buttermilk.
3/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda.
3/4 tsp salt.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl making a hollow in middle.
Add Buttermilk and mix quickly.
Kneed on a flat surface for a SHORT while.
Place in oven for about 40 minutes.
Remove and allow to cool.
Serve warm with ample salted butter.
DELICIOUS.
Jason came around a few minutes ago just to chat about what to expect and to find out if we were short of anything. I will be in charge of making dinner on Wednesday evening with Shelley's help, very easy meal to make in my opinion, while Jason and Shelley will be handling breakfast the next morning.
I was telling him just how excited I am to be going, he said that he too is very excited. He's been going there since he was two years old but hasn't been for a couple of years now. Just two days till we leave, YAY!
Apparently we will be going through a pass on the way there and a tunnel too, lots of photo opportunities.  I will stop and take as many photographs as possible along the rout and will be writing about the whole trip here on Geoff's Blog.
Stay tuned for the next installment of Geoff's African Safari.
Blessings to all from a very excited Geoff in Johannesburg South Africa.


3 comments:

  1. I make my biscuits, baked cornbread and hushpuppies with buttermilk.

    I'd take a little toilet paper, just in case. That would be awful to be without, especially if you don't have corn cobs or an old catalog on hand.

    Sounds like you'll have a gloriously good time! Looking forward to joining you here on your blog!
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually looks sort of strange to see the wrapped cherry tomatoes and peppers as we have heaps of them growing in our garden for free... Looks like you're well supplied with drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who was lucky enough to taste this amazingly yummy Mexican feast I say
    "hats off" and Bravo Geoff, your meal was delicious. Many of us had seconds, thanks for your effort and the love you put in the meal.

    ReplyDelete