Monday, April 27, 2015

What will we do?

Have you ever felt, while reading the news or listening to the radio, like your heart was going to break?  Utoya island slaying in Norway of more than 90 children in 2011, the 911 event that happened in America and now the earthquake in Nepal. There are other occasions when I've felt this way but today I'll concentrate on Nepal.
image source
I only found out about what had happened on Sunday morning via a radio news broadcast. At that time the death toll was only 1800, it's now 3500 and still rising. Climbers on Mount Everest were killed and hundreds are still stranded on the mountain. Small villages near the epicenter of the quake have still not all been contacted mostly because there is no way to get to them. In Kathmandu many are still buried under tons of rubble and to top it all off, the hospitals are completely overwhelmed.

 The international response to the disaster has been quite extensive but at this time, 8 am GMT, there have, as of yet, not been any arrivals from the rest of the world. They are expected within the next few hours. Looking through the images on the net, being a photographer this is the first place I went to, I'm horrified by the degree of devastation. It's going to take a very long time for this country to get back to where it was before.
Suresh Parihar takes his daughter in his arms after she was found in their caved in house.
Can you imagine the joy in this father's heart, not everyone was that lucky. 
What I'm going to do today is take a thousand Rand from my account and donate it to Unicef. Okay, that didn't work, Shelley tried to put it through by her credit card, not working, I tried to put it through by paypal, not working and today is a public, banks closed, so I'll have to do it tomorrow.
Here's a link to Unicef's donation page for those who really do care about their fellow inhabitants of our wonderful God given Earth. http://www.supportunicef.org/site/c.dvKUI9OWInJ6H/b.7549291/k.BDF0/Home.htm

I'm going to have to leave this post now. Every time I go back to images of the quake there are more pictures, horrifying

3 comments:

  1. Please pass this post along so we Bloggers can do something other than just talk. Thanks and God bless my blogging friends, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting about this! It is terrible, and all the help people can give is much needed...

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for Nepal at the moment. (Sadly, the only thing I can do right now.)

    ReplyDelete