Friday, April 03, 2015

Easter Weekend in South Africa, what's on.

source

Hello everyone.
Today is Easter Friday, kind of sad. For people in Kenya, very sad, more than 140 young Christian lives snuffed out. Please keep them in your prayers this weekend.
Moving on. There is a tradition in this country where we eat pickled fish on Good Friday, this comes from a time when people didn't work on the weekend and this dish could feed a family without spoiling till Monday. It's usually made with Snoek ( a type of fish), vinegar and curry. Very scrumptious. We also have hot cross buns and Easter eggs in abundance.
A small group of ZCC marching men I photographed some time last year

In this country there is a Christian organisation called the Zionist Christian Church in a place called Moria in the Limpopo province. People from all over Africa come to this place over the Easter weekend, between four and five million. Imagine attending a church meeting where there are millions of people singing praise and worship songs, awesome. Unfortunately the road death toll rises hugely, usually to about 200 or so. Way too many.
source

Another thing that will take place this weekend is the Two Oceans Marathon in the Western Cape. This is known as the most beautiful marathon in the world. It is also world famous, about as famous as the Comrades Marathon also run in this country. 56 Kilometers, more than I would choose to run, walk yes, run no.
source
As you can see, not a very well attended challenge, just a very few participants, 16 000 for the half marathon, 11 000 for the ultra marathon and another 3 000 for the other events. That's 30 000 people. Maybe one day I'll try this, just to make myself feel good.
I'm still living in Johannesburg and working for my brother. Tracey, his wife, is still struggling with cancer and will be going in for another operation next week. I really hope it works out well.
With regards to the April blog challenge, I don't have time enough for that right now, very busy with lots of late nights and weekend work. I have been reading other peoples posts but not writing myself. Must get back into writing, don't want to lose the ability. Oh well, all in due course. Blessings to all who are taking part in the challenge and all who are running tomorrow. God bless the people of Kenya, please comfort those who are in pain Lord, Geoff.

4 comments:

  1. You're right about the huge sadness caused by the senseless killings.

    Loved see the Two Oceans Marathon route. I'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Geoff. I will keep Kenya in my prayers. BTW, I have never had pickled fish before. I want to try it!
    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear from you! Praying for a peaceful, joy filled Easter weekend for all.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to read something from you. I always look to see if you have a new post. Hope you are healthy and doing well. Easter blessings and peace to you and your children. I know steady work is good for paying the bills, but I also hope you manage some down time for your soul. I still wish you were back in Cape and we could read about all the wonderful happenings of nature around your home. From your FFAF.

    ReplyDelete