Monday, January 13, 2014

Johannesburg

So I'm now living in Johannesburg South Africa. Oh well what can I say? Johannesburg does have some very interesting attributes. The largest man made urban forest in the world, the largest city in the world not built on a river, coastline or lake. It also claims to be the lightning capitol of the world, I'm not sure about that but will acknowledge that Archibald goes into meltdown almost every afternoon in summer, he's probably shaking like a leaf right now as the clouds build up for this afternoon's thunder storm. Poor little guy.
Going back to the urban forest thing; This weekend saw the beginning of the butterfly annual migration, millions of little white butterflies all heading eastwards in waves. Final destination Madagascar off the African east coast, a staggering distance of over two thousand miles (3200 kilometers). As can be imagined, forests provide refuse and sustenance to large varieties of wild birds. There are flocks of wild parrots, actually parakeets,
Not my picture (Source link)
We have a couple of Indian Minahs resident in the garden, oodles of  doves and pigeons and then things like Mouse birds, Crested Barbets, and Woodland Hoopoe.
image source
Not only do we have vast bird flocks but amazing insect and reptile life living right among us. There are of course also plenty of rats and feral cats to take care of them.
I don't have any friends here yet, they're all in Cape Town but this too shall pass. I've been attending the Presbyterian Church in Elma Park. Mostly a very old congregation but it was still the holidays so maybe things will change next week when everyone is back at work and school, we'll see. I'd like to join a home-cell group and meet people, how else am I going to make friends, I work all week.
I'll write more about my new home in the near future. Blessings to everyone, Geoff.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your new location. The birds sound beautiful, I love birds. Have you ever heard of a special coat that Archibald could wear when it thunders? It fits snugly and calms the dog, must be something like a reassuring hug. When I was a little girl, our dog was afraid of thunder and storms, I would hug him and pet him to help him calm down. On the negative end of that story, my father would beat him when the storms came. I hate that memory. :( (crying tears for my doggie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southern Hemisphere has the most amazing birds. I read Elephant's Child blog; she is from Canbarra. Her flowers and birds just amaze me.

    ReplyDelete