Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Jesus prayed for him

Simon, Simon, take heed; Satan has been given leave to sift all of you like wheat; but for you I have prayed that your faith may not fail; and when you have come to yourself, you must lend strength to your brothers. (Luke 22  verse 31 )
You have no idea how many times I've turned to those words and clung to that little piece where Jesus tells Simon that he has prayed for him. The sifting is one thing but, the son of God praying for him, astounding!

Now I would imagine that sifting can be quite rough on the wheat, not as rough as grinding but rough all the same. I've had my fair share of sifting, being sworn at, cursed, mocked, beaten, chased away as worthless and so on and so on, but here I stand, respected and admired by the very people who treated my that way. There was many a day when I cried out to the Lord, "My faith is failing, please pray for me Lord and don't let go of me." Those same people come to me for advice now, spiritual advice that is and this is what lending strength to my brothers means.
Jesus warned us that following him would result in just this sort of treatment, but I decided to follow him by my own choice, no point in complaining, just hang in there. This too shall pass.
My take on this is: If Satan has cause to sift me to see if my faith will fail, thus giving him cause to condemn me, then I'm doing something right.
Have you ever been sifted by Satan or are you of no real consequence when it comes to God's kingdom? I don't mean inconsequential but just not enough in God's face to be noticed, I pester him a lot.
Simon was very dear to Jesus, someone special. A bit of a loose cannon I admit but very evident in the company of Jesus, hopefully I'm also evident, a bit of a loose cannon but special enough to be prayed for by the son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment