Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Hartebeestpoort Dam

This time last year I had already scheduled stacks of posts, this year I haven't had the time to sit down and think, let alone write lots of posts in one go. I'm afraid it's one day at a time currently and that means sometimes things go awry. Once again I'm going to have to leave the pictures till later, I still haven't had a chance to re-size them.
I want to tell you about a dam called Hartebeestpoort Dam on the way to Sun City. I've driven over it four times in the last two days (on a bridge that is.)
The town through which we drove is called Hartebeestpoort, which stands to reason, what a beautiful, colourful display along the roadside. I don't often get a chance to stop and just be a tourist but, I do travel a lot and see many things. I live in Africa. We drove past an elephant sanctuary in the area, how cool is that, and a monkey reserve, also very cool road stalls and pavement markets, donkeys, goats and gaily painted buildings, yep I live in Africa, an exciting place.
Back to the dam. When I was young, oh, about forty odd years ago, I used to come fishing and camping here with my father Charmian, my sister and Myles my brother, we loved it. Things have obviously changed a lot since I last saw the dam, not to mention that when we came here last we were on the other end of the dam and unable to see the bridge we used yesterday. We fished for bream and barbell during the day and sat around bonfires at night just being happy to be where we were.
This was once the largest dam in the southern hemisphere but, as we all know, things change. I think it was completed in about 1912.  There was a time when the dam had a serious problem with water Hyacinth,but it seemed clear to me yesterday. I've no idea what has become of it.
Essentially, it's a resort type place, safari like where you can sail, play golf, fish or just chill by the fire within  a short-ish distance of Johannesburg and Pretoria. Pretoria being the political capitol of the country and Johannesburg being the financial, as can be imagined, property here is not cheap. The weather is really good, lots of sunshine and good rains, it's quite lush. I'm not sure what the fishing's like now nor what camping would be like, a bit different I would imagine.Just driving across the dam and seeing the homes on the banks brings back good memories.
Once again, In the morning I'll try to get some pictures published.
Blessings to all, Geoff.
  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this info- I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a beautiful place to live and drive past regularly. Would love to see some more photos when you get time to upload them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. intriguing! I should probably check out some photos:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete