Thursday, April 04, 2013

Details

What you get
I don't know what you do for a living, or should I say what you Did, but I manage a workshop where exhibition stands are built. The company is called Setbuild and is owned by my brother Myles. We've been building film sets and show stands for about thirty years now, separately but still in the same industry. I've been asked to join him in Johannesburg for a while while he copes with certain medical issues in the family.
Enough about that. This post is about Details and, to tell the truth, attention to detail is what has gotten this company through for so long. It's now my turn to try to keep all those little things in mind and make things happen. Man, you have no idea how many things I have to focus on in the course of my week. This weekend we will be erecting FOUR stand in two locations about three hours apart by road.  Everything has to be in place and to the right dimensions, to the half millimeter.
In the workshop before shipping.
Yeah, I know it's my job to get it together but when you are in control of more than twenty people, including the boss, you have to rely on other peoples hands and minds to accomplish the task. I love it.
Right now I'm writing out "to do" lists for the four show stands so that when the crew arrive tomorrow morning they can see for themselves what to do next. Things like; fit 16mm board behind the store wall to accommodate a coat hanger rack, paint bulkheads green to match corporate colors, move end wall 9mm in and fit 3mm board on outside. Remember to make a ramp for wheelchairs and don't forget to have the door sprayed white.
It's all in the details, and that's my Job.
Speaking of Job, God blessed Job in his old age far more than in his youth, possibly to make up for all the tribulation and loss Job had had to endure, that's where I am now, blessed.
Be blessed and know that everything will turn out all right.


4 comments:

  1. Isn't there a saying, "God is in the details," that is what I thought of when I read your post. I think that God guides your hands, Geoff, and your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could handle so much detail.
    Nice post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for blessings!

    Details are important especially when ones work is under public scrutiny.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attention to details is so very important and so diffcult. Kudos to you and your company.

    Bhavya from the AtoZ Challenge blogging at Just Another Blog

    ReplyDelete