Sunday, July 22, 2012

Johannesburg, away from home.

Scaw Metals show stand.
I've been here for five weeks already and, so far, have had only two days off  work. We'll be working again this weekend too. Man, Johannesburg seems perfect for workaholics or just for those who really need to make money. Of course I also need to make money, but I only make it in order to live. Know what I mean? I so prefer Cape Town.
Anyway, for those of you who are curious about the economic hub of South Africa, Johannesburg is it. With that of course goes the image consciousness, the fancy cars, smart dress code and the attitude. Now me, I couldn't give two hoots about image, I dress the way I dress and drive the car I can afford, no bank debt. People here in Johannesburg on the other hand seem to spend their lives trying to pay the banks off and get rid of their credit cards. They work and work and work, almost non-stop. And of course, where there is money involved, there you will find politics and pointing fingers, weird don't you think. It would be so much better if people could celebrate when someone else is being blessed instead of being jealous instead. There is a lot I could write about peoples attitudes here but feel my blog should be uplifting, so all I'm going to say is there are plenty of other sites with a lot to say that give a much better picture of what Johannesburg has on offer.
Ready for the show
One of the things about being away from home is I don't have access to a computer, no laptop, and in consequence, can't keep up with my blog posts nor with yours. Sorry about that. It's Sunday morning and I'm taking a few minutes to write this before getting back to work. We're building a storage shed so as to give a bit more work space in the workshop, set building takes up a lot of space as you can imagine.
 Thank you all for your prayers.
I've got to get back to work, please say a short prayer for me too, I miss home a lot.
Bless you all, Geoff.

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this when I was on my way to Johannesburg a few weeks ago: If I'm a working man and lose my job would it be right for me to get upset about it? My thoughts strayed to the fact that in losing my job, someone else would then get that job and be blessed. I should celebrate their blessing in much the same way that I would celebrate getting a new job. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropping in to say "hello." Hope you get some time off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about losing the job being a blessing for someone else. Like when I worked at a certain job, a co-worker was fired, which gave me more hours. Or how my husband was hired because another person had been injured and couldn't work. I just have to be honest--rejoice when you have the job,and if you lose it, trust God to send you something else. It's hard to accept adversity, but we as Christians know that God has a plan, even though we can't see it or might not understand it.

    The Scaw Metals showstand looks great. Love the curves... I looked the company up on the Internet, interesting--a global business!

    I know your animals miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been very impressed with the amount of sportsmanship shown white South African athletes at the Olympics--especially from other African competitors. For I would think that the wounds of Apartheid would have taken much longer to heal (naturally-speaking, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text
    in your content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
    I'm not sure if this is a

    format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I

    figured I'd post to let you know. The design look great though!
    Hope you get

    the problem solved soon. Thanks
    Feel free to surf my blog post :: Fishingspain.Net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many choices out there that
    I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to visit my web-site; Garcinia Cambogia Reviews
    My website :: Miracle Garcinia Cambogia

    ReplyDelete