Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Victoria Falls

Vic Falls (link)
Mosi-oa-tunya The smoke that thunders, Victoria Falls. How's that for a grand name? During the rainy season, when the water going over the falls is at it's peak, the ground really does shake and the roar from the falls can be heard for miles around, there's that much water. !.7 kilometers wide, with a drop of 108 meters and a flow of up to 13 million liters per second, this an impressive waterfall. Now you are probably wondering where these falls could possibly be. Right? They are on the mighty Zambezi river that separates Zimbabwe from Zambia. This blog should be about the letter "Z" but that letter is reserved for "ZEBRA" the A to Z character chosen by Lee.
We visited Victoria falls in 1971 while my parents were living in Zambia, us kids were all attending boarding school in Pietermaritzburg in Natal, South Africa. We would go "home" over the long holidays and go to Umhlanga Rocks on the Natal north coast for the short holidays. (South Africans will understand this.) Anyway, Victoria Falls is probably one of the most spectacular falls in Africa.
This is going to be a short post because I have a lot of other things I need to take care of, sorry, I'll try to make it up to you in the next few posts.
God bless you all, Geoff.

7 comments:

  1. The falls are absolutely beautiful! I can imagine how far the sound travels, this would be spectacular to see.

    Geoff, you have so many stories about your life that you could share with us (and we would love to hear!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool name and I am pondering the sound in my head of the falls crashing because of my experience at Niagra Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great capture, very spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I can just imagine the sound and the energy that is felt there.

    Here in Canada we have the Niagara Falls. The power that is felt while standing beside them is amazing!

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mr Geoff. I love that blog post. I can just imagine the sound of the water, although I cant imagine it a thousand times louder than our little waterfall on the river near our garden. I think I'd be scared of such a loud sound.
    I'm glad you're doing Zebra next week!
    love
    Victor xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is beautiful! It must be amazing to hear and feel it too.:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been here a few times and never fail to be blown away by the awesomeness of creation.

    http://dpfinnie.com

    ReplyDelete