Saturday, April 14, 2012

Making Movies in Africa.

Building a Boeing  in Namaqualand.
Making Movies in Africa has taken off to such an extent over the past 20 years, it's quite amazing. I started in the film industry in about 1988 in Johannesburg. At that time there were only about two or three hundred film crew members in the country and as can be imagined we were called onto help out in all departments, it was such fun.
On location (Source)
Now Africa is one of the prime locations for film making, there is a thriving film support industry with thousands of very professional crew members to choose form who are willing to go the extra mile to accomplish a polished product. The very best and up to date equipment is readily available here and the locations, well what can I say other than "STUNNING." Then of course there is the exchange rate, it's cheap to shoot in Africa. I mean, come on what more could you possibly ask for?
Who doesn't want to go to Africa to shoot a movie? Ask your movie stars, there are few top stars, certainly American stars, who haven't come here to make magic. Whoopi Goldberg, Nicolas Cage, Sidney Poitier, and many more have come willingly. It's a magical place by anyone's standards, and it looks so good on film.
Now you know where to come to make your next feature film, come to Africa.

9 comments:

  1. geoff, you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, and of course, there is "Out of Africa"... or was that not filmed in Africa? I bet it was. One of my all time favorite movies. I think I spied you as one of the extras, didn't I? One of the men in the "Members Only" Club at the hotel? Reclining there in your white linen suit? Raising a toast to Karen? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, ha, ha, ha.
    Crew members very seldom get involved in front of the camera, but it does happen, well it has happened to me a couple of times. :)
    Bless you Joy, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, when I first read your post title, I thought it said, "Making Moves in Africa". I thought, "Oh, Geoff is making moves in Africa!" Ladies beware!! ;) (sorry, I don't consider it a great day unless I've teased you!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! My former boss hails from Johannesburg and absolutely loves it there. He longs for the day to go back for a visit.


    Visiting through the A to Z Challenge. Lovely blog!

    Best regards,
    Donna
    Award-winning Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway story book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I so enjoyed reading this. I don't know much about movie making, but my family always watches all the extras for all the movies which talk about "the making of". My 9 yr old is obsessed about becoming an actor but when I mentioned acting camp for the summer he said "no need mom, I have natural talent". It's very cute, but you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna hi, welcome to my blog.
    Africa is a great place to live, or just to visit and people, who have either lived here or visited, carry many fond memories. This much I know, I'm happy here and am content to just visit other places.
    Thanks for the visit and the comment, Go in peace with God's blessing, Geoff.

    Marta hi.
    One of my best friends, in fact the friend I've had for the longest time, has the same name as you. Marta, or as I know her Marie.
    Having read your blog posts, I think the two of you have quite a few characteristics in common. Isn't it amazing how people who share the same names seem to be so much alike? I sometimes wonder why that is.
    If you find your son always acting as soon as the camera comes out and also entertaining his friends by acting out stories all the time, then he could well be a natural. Actors are artists and that usually manifests itself in a number of ways, painting, singing, playing musical instruments and so on. But it is also possible for his acting abilities to remain dormant for a time and only become evident later in life. I wish him luck, no matter which way he eventually goes. Blessings, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW what an adventure, Africa, the call of the wild....Elephants, Zebras, Lions, and movie making...just discovered your blog today....God bless you as you continue to do what God has purposed for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw a great documentary shot in Kenya, that won the Best Documentary award at the Tribeca Film Festival: WAVUMBA.
    The film is now available for VOD on Flimmit:
    http://www.flimmit.com/download-stream/wavumba/?hl=en

    ReplyDelete