Friday, April 13, 2012

Lesotho, Land of our Fathers.

Lesotho (Source)
Lesotho, (le-soo-too), a sad, beautiful, wonderful mountain kingdom. The poorest country in the world with the third highest HIV/AIDS incidence. More than thirty percent of the children here are orphaned, and with life expectancy less than 40, more than 60% of the population is under 24 years of age.
With 98 percent of the population being Basothos and 80 % of whom are Christian, Lesotho doesn't have the racial and ethnic conflicts that draw media attention. A forgotten nation of truly wonderful people.
I'm having a really hard time writing this post, there are literally tears running down my cheeks. Please click on the link below the map and see if you could possibly help these wonderful Christians. It would soothe my heart to know that I've managed to help in some small way.
Enough about the sad stuff. Let me find some really good things to say about this amazing Monarchy.
Lesotho is a land locked mountain kingdom, and I mean high up in the mountains with summer temperatures reaching 30 degrees in the lowlands and winter temperatures
A cold mountain kingdom. (Source)
going down to minus 7 degrees. The highlands can go down to minus 18 degrees Celsius in winter and in summer still getting snow on the higher peaks. If you do decide to visit, take warm clothes and give them away when you leave. Snow boarding is a new tourist adventure attraction and is proving popular with foreign tourists.
The country used to export clothing to America, but because of the economic downturn, these exports have dropped off significantly resulting in huge job losses.
Traditional dress (Source)
Tourists are most welcome. If you do go for a visit, buy a Basotho blanket. Hand made from natural wool, they are amazingly beautiful and very warm. Their hats are also quite outstanding, I have one.
Ok, apart for the appeals for help, I think this is an African Country well worthy of a blog post. My Africa, my people, my hat I lift to you. May God bless the people of Lesotho and bring them what they most need, healing and prosperity.
One for the ladies, yes it is a diamond. (source)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    What a beautiful place! Such diversity in Africa, I had no idea!! The statistics are wild! 60% of the population under the age of 24 and 80% Christian.

    It is so sad to see such poor countries with the death rate at such a young age. It would be great to get tourism in but then with that there would be huge changes to the culture.

    Thanks for sharing this, I will be in prayer for these people.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking on those blankets. Wouldn't it be great for someone to set up a shop on-line to sell them around the world! I can imagine how beautiful they are and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that is awesome that you wrote this post! Just two days ago my family agreed to sponcer a child through World Vision. I wanted to have a sister the same age as me and be able to help her. Well my new sister in Lesotho, Tebello, is only 15 days older than me! God bless you for writing this blog <3
    Bri

    ReplyDelete