Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Insects of Africa.

I don't have a lot of photographs of insects endemic to Africa, so what I'm going to do is post a couple of pictures of those that have come to visit me on the farm here in Melkbos Strand.
This little moth came visiting while I was at work doing some signage work. Very pretty with really interesting eyes.





This little praying mantis also came for a visit at about the same time. Still too small to take on the moth.












 A swarm of wild African bees from which I managed to get a whole lot of honey, yum.
And of course the caterpillars that come to visit just after the winter rains begin, like about now-ish.
 These little lady bird look-alikes love the tasteless mallows that grow during the rainy season.
And this bizarre creature? I have no idea what this turns into. I'm using an enlarged image of one of these scary creatures to create an artwork for the Africa Burns festival. Cool hey?
 And of course there are lots and lots of snails that somehow manage to survive the dry hot summer. This picture was taken in winter.
 Real African Lady birds. So pretty.
No idea? Just very pretty. It's not a butterfly, which I cannot for the life of me photograph, nor a moth, nor a beetle. Definitely an insect though. :)
 Another caterpillar that lives on the hill in amongst the Fynbos. You know, Proteas and Sutherlandia and so on. (Fynbos plants)







And beetles, what kind? Who knows.
A nice easy post for the letter I've struggled with the most so far. Who would have thunk of such a thing?

9 comments:

  1. I have struggled the most with "I" as well. Even the insects are exotic in Africa. Great photos.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. We have preying mantis in our garden every summer. Kids watch them grow, mate and cocoon their eggs. It's awesome:)
    Thank you for leaving such thoughtful comments on my blog Geoff:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for taking the time to take photos of your critters. I love to meet the tiny creatures in the different places I have gone. I confess one of my fears of visiting Africa is because there are so many large insects and spiders. Your photos shrinked them down to size.

    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous pictures. I do love the caterpillar shot the best. Captures the survival essence of a caterpillar to look "menacing" to its predator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. missyblurkit
    Yuck, can you imagine eating one of those. There are worms here that people eat, they're called Mopani worms, not for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super selection of photos, I recently listened to an audio book which said caterpillars have 22 moving parts in their heads alone. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, hi.
    It's weird isn't it. The one letter we seem to use the most in conversation, is the one I've really had a hard time trying to find interesting topics on. Oh well, Insects will do for now.
    Blessings my friend, Geoff.

    Marta hello.
    They certainly are incredible creatures, easy to photograph too. These are just a few of the photos I've taken around the farm, which is just a very tiny bit of Africa. There are some really amazing insects closer to the equator. That was one of the things I loved about living in Zambia.
    Thanks for the visit, bless you, Geoff.

    Mimi, welcome.
    As a child I took a lot of interest in entomology (the study of insects) and had a rather large collection. When we moved to Zambia in 1969 I was absolutely thrilled by the sheer size of the insects that met us on arrival. There are lots of things I could tell about insects here but this was a last minute post, I was going to write about an African word "Indaba" (Pow Wow or conference) but changed my mind at the last minute.
    God bless you Mimi, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete