Thursday, April 05, 2012

Ethiopia

An Ethiopian guide
The Queen of Sheeba, mentioned in the bible was from Ethiopia. One of the oldest sites of  human existence known to man. Believe it or not, The Ethiopian Aksum Empire was one of the four great world powers during the third century. How about that?
A nation at war
Home of the Ethiopian orthodox church, Ethiopia is a country at war, reluctantly, but at war all the same.
As far back as I can remember, people have been starving to death in Ethiopia. The saddest part of this story is it's all man made. Ethiopia is one of the oldest nations in the world, a nation that traces it's roots to king Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived, and yet here they are, starving.
Doing a bit of research on this country has left me feeling sick to the stomach.
That being said, let me continue all the same. There are 11 rock-hewn churches in and around the town of Lalibela in the north eastern districts. Cut from solid rock, they are the venues for some of the more famous festivals held by the Ethiopian Church.
Cut from solid rock (Source)

You may have heard of the supposedly 3.5 million year old hominid fossil known as Lucy or even the older 4.4million year old hominid fossil known as Ramides. Well they are apparently the missing link between apes and men, or so they say??? Anyway, these remains were found in the eastern provinces of Ethiopia.
This country has an amazingly rich archaeological and historical heritage. Tourism is, as far as I can tell, still happening and from what I've seen definitely worth it. I've found that my heart has been torn by how much of a struggle it must be for the ordinary citizens to survive, and most of them are Christian. Here's a link to an organization called Compassion International which is doing great work helping in Ethiopia  http://www.compassion.com/about/about-us.htm  Check it out.
My prayer oh Lord is you bring the fighting and starvation to an end in Ethiopia, this I pray in the name of Jesus, the son of God.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    Ethiopia, rich in heritage and culture. Those lips look very painful. You know, lots of young people here in BC are walking around with huge holes in their ears too.

    It is so sad that this country is at war and so many people starving.

    I will check out that link, I think I have heard about Compassion International before.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Geoff. We have been sponsoring an Ethiopian young man for many years through Compassion International. It is a solid organization, helping children who live in poverty all over the world. The young man we sponsor receives good health care, food, clothing, education and Christian instruction. We also send extra on his birthday and Christmas. His mother carries rocks for a living. He helps his mother by selling in the market place and hauling water. Without aid, he would not have much of a future. I encourage all who visit your blog to take a look at Compassion International, and perhaps sponsor a boy or girl and give them the tools to lift themselves and possibly their family out of desperate poverty. It doesn't take much money to help--perhaps if you want to sacrifice the cost of two visits a month to a movie theater and use that money to help another. In America we spend money on so many useless things. Help a child and make a difference in eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. extensive report enriched by significant photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!

    http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen!!

    Thanks for such enlightening post.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, again, Geoff!

    I too pray that same prayer!

    Lots of history there - appreciating you providing it!

    Much sorrow and saddness also.

    I'll check out the link- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Child of God hi.
    Sorry about the long break before answering these comments, there is a reason, but not worth going into.
    Those lips, what can I say? The Zulu people put disks in their ears here in South Africa, not for me, thank you very much, I like me just the way God made me.
    Yeah, Ethiopia, tore my heart trying to do research for this post, Not nice images.
    Compassion International is pretty well known, they've been on the news quite a few times with regards to Africa, you probably do know them.
    Anyway, thanks for the visit and may the Lord bless you, Geoff.

    Joy, good for you.
    Thanks for what you do so unselfishly, it does make a difference, believe me.
    May my God bless you for your kindness, Geoff.

    Elettra, hello my friend.
    Thank you for your kind words, and I wish the pictures were mine, but alas, they're not. :)
    I'll come around to visit you soon. I hope Google will translate your posts for me this time, Geoff.

    Memoirsof meandmine, hi.
    Amen and Amen.

    Doris, hi.
    Doing research for this post was enlightening for me too, I can assure you of that. In fact the research into each of these posts has certainly taught me a thing or two.
    Blessings, Geoff.

    Hi Betty.
    Me too.
    Bless you girl, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible find....wow ...I think I would "pee my pants" with so much joy and delight ...that any source of control would be extinct for the moment....how awesome is this ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Geoff
    So good to read your blog. I am happy to read about your natural reserve. What a life it would be to live with so many animals. And of course was touched by your concern for people in ethiopia. I landed on your blog while reading about all the land snatching going on there. sad.
    BT

    ReplyDelete