Monday, April 09, 2012

Beware of Hippopotamus

Be warned (Source)
 I've been reading a few Hippo poems and looking at some of the depictions offered to children, Very funny and cute.
Believe it or not, the Hippopotamus is the most dangerous animal in Africa. Apart from Mosquitoes, which carry Malaria, Hippos kill more people here than any other animal. It is also the most aggressive animal in the world, apart from man that is. I bet you didn't know that! They weigh three tons and can run at 30 km per hour, you, at your fastest can only do about 16. Amazing, don't you think?
Extremely territorial in the water, where they spend most of their day, but on land, when they come out to graze at night, territory is no longer an issue. But a word of warning, don't get between a hippo and the water, those jaws will snap you in half like a twig.

Hippo attacks vet (Source)
It may sound like I'm down on hippos, I'm not really, just very wary, we were attacked by one while fishing on Lake Kariba many years ago. Not a fun experience. We were in a boat fishing for Tiger fish near a mud bank when suddenly something came up under the boat and nearly knocked us out, it was a hippo, mouth open and wanting us to leave. We left post-haste. Good memories though. I suppose that's all we have at the end of the day, memories and stories. On the way back to Ndola my father rolled the car, he and my brother landed up in hospital with broken arms and legs. It's not a good thing to have to stay in hospital in darkest Africa, even today.
Christmas Hippo
For more on any of my posts just click on the links below the picture and you will land up with stacks to read. Blessings, Geoff.

13 comments:

  1. I thought waterbuffalo were more dangerous than hippos!
    seems to me you guys have A LOT of VERY dangerous animals.
    let's see; snakes, hippos, elephants, lions, warthogs, hyenas, leopards...
    Rhinos, hippos...


    Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff,
    I did know that hippos were very dangerous but I sure didn't know they could run so fast! That's amazing for such a heavy animal.

    I am so glad you, your brother and your father were safe from the hippo but to roll the car, well I believe you guys were very blessed.

    Blessing brother,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have an amazing blog, with such inspiration and beautiful pictures. Your blog gives me a feeling of living life to the fullest. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Geoff, That photo of the hippo attack is frightening.Horrible!!
    You have to live with dangerous animals to realise, they are not so cute. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi, hi.
    I do seem to be painting an awfully dangerous picture of Africa, don't I?
    Most of the animals I've written about are either in very wild places or in game reserves like the Kruger National Park, an area about the size of Britain, on the east of South Africa, that has been set aside for wild life only. Believe it or not, the mosquito kills more people than any other creature in Africa. (I write about it in my "Q"post).

    Child of God, hi.
    That holiday was absolutely amazing, all our holidays in Zambia were. The accident was just one of those minor events that took place. Hey we were kids on holiday, so exciting, don't you think?
    Thanks for popping in, I'll be over a bit later to pay you a visit, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn, Hi.
    Thank you. I just write about the amazing things God has placed here to share our world, and of course a bit about my life. If anyone deserves the thanks it's God, well I think so anyway. Bless you young Lady, from Cape Town, South Africa, Geoff.

    Crystal Mary, so nice to hear from you, as always.
    Yeah, scary, he did get away though. The hippo was already drugged and a bit dis-orientated. A very lucky man.
    I'm coming over to visit a bit later, have a really blessed Easter Monday, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Mr Geoff. Hippos are HUGE. They wouldn't notice us, I hope. I like your stories though the animals are very scary. I'd run and hide if I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my daugher was about 4 years old, one of her favorite books was entitled, "All the Hippos Go Berserk". (We had to read it over and over.) When she would say "berserk", it came out as, "beryerk". To this day, I remind her of "All the Hippos Go Beryerk". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Victor, hi.
    Welcome to Africa. I'm sure the animals here must seem very big to you, to me too, but scary? maybe not too bad.
    I like your stories too, even though I've never had to look after a guinea pig before. Bless you my furry little friend, Geoff.

    Joy hi.
    With my children it was the same. Each of them had a favorite book that was read to them before sleep. Very cute. "All the Hippos Go Beryerk"." Never heard of it. :)
    Bless you my Fine Feathered American Friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL ... we have one of these in our office....we need a beware sign now.....wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda hi.
    Ha, ha, ha. be nice now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humans can run a lot faster than that the fastest person can hit about 40 km

    ReplyDelete
  13. Humans can run way faster than that the fastest person can run about 40 km

    ReplyDelete