Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Time for God and Housework

Eskom employee (Source)
Remember Enron? Well we've got Eskom. Remember the whole, rolling blackouts until we get our way, thing? They've done exactly the same thing here. Oh well, what can I say? The household current in this country is supposed to be 220 volts at 50 HZ, supplied by Eskom, our one and only energy supply monopoly. After another computer melt down I decided to stick a multi-meter into the outlet and see what has been going on. Surprise! I've now blown four computers and two monitors because the household supply here on the farm is currently(excuse the pun) 370 volts and who knows how many hertz. I'm going to have to get a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) unless I want to keep on driving my son moggy. Of course there is no point in confronting Eskom about it, they're a monopoly.
I have this to say about the whole episode though; not being able to get to my e-mail has been frustrating and worrisome, not being able to write a blog post has been frustrating and worrisome not being able to read your posts has been frustrating and worrisome but otherwise it has been a blessing.
I'm one of those rather bizarre characters who have managed to do without television for more than thirty years now. I don't read the newspapers nor do I listen to the radio, other than Christian music stations. But then everything changed, I got connected at home. At first it was great to be able to sit here in the comfort of my own home and write blog posts. I had very limited money and because of that the data bundle I could afford was only about 30 megs. My surfing was extremely limited, as can be imagined and blog posts were what I had the Internet connection for, not much else.

With time and changes in my financial status, this started to change. I would, for example, now buy 120meg bundles about twice a month. All this really meant was I could now publish blog posts with more pictures and look at other peoples posts from blogs I hadn't yet visited as well as those I visited regularly. This was about the time I started blogging from home, I had been using Andy's computer before that. I had a very small computer, old too, but I was so enjoying it.
A couple of months ago my son James gave me his old computer with a huge upgrade in memory, from 25 gigs to over 800. He uploaded quite a few movies and other things onto the computer and at the same time he took out a data bundle contract for me allowing me 2 gigs a month, with anything I've not used up rolling over to the next month. Now I've got stacks to play with and It's super fast too.
But, and this is a very big but, until my computer died, I was spending way too much time on the computer and not nearly enough time with the Lord. Misha wrote about taking Sundays as computer free days and how much she enjoyed them, Misha, I agree.

I've been reading quite a few books, things like "Jedder's Land" by Maureen O'Donoghue, a story about an abandoned orphan Rachel who walks 300 miles across England alone to take possession of her inheritance. A remarkable story, fiction of course, one I could not put down. Another one I read was "The Testament" by John Grisham, also a story about an inheritance but this time set in Washington and South America with a legal twist, very nice.
And then there's the garden and sorting out the house, really sorting it out not just a lick and a promise. Getting a proper vegetable garden going takes time and effort not just talk and plans. Strangely enough I've gotten a lot done over the past week.
I am so glad to have had this little down time, it sort of woke me up, you know, the frog in hot water story and how these things just sneak up on us and steal our time, without us even noticing. Much more computer down time from now on. Computers are made for blogging and e-mail, that's all.

8 comments:

  1. So many things we take for granted. I used to take the train in to town and then the taxi to work - partly to save petrol but partly also to remind me of how priviledged I am to have a car to drive! Not to mention the blessing of having legs & feet to walk! :-)
    Go check out my pics on Mvscommoditybrokers blog & give some advice if you don't mind.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful son James is!! Giving you a computer and improving everything on it.. very thoughtful. My hubby got me a better connection stick for mine and I can't believe how much more I can do.. will go and look at your other pics.. Blessings and hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mighty Mouse hi.
    I must say I really like you name MM.
    No advice on your pictures, they are cool as they are, Huh.
    I switch my computer on in the morning now to check my e-mail and blog then switch it off and get busy.
    I'm happy again. Nice to hear from you. Blessings, Geoff.
    Crystal Mary, Hello again.
    Without James I would no longer be blogging, in fact I probably wouldn't be using a computer at all. He has been fantastic to me.
    He also gave me a new dongle/ stick, probably something like yours, It is very efficient and I can really get things done now. I'm loving it, need my "away from computer" time but that's cool, I can blog at night.
    Bless you my friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff,
    It is crazy how dependent we have become on the computer. Just this past Sunday I banged my computer and now it doesn't work so I have migrated to using my phone which can be difficult to use. But I have so many people I am praying for that I feel I must keep up with.
    What a great son you have up grading you and all. :)

    Hope you get those surge issues under control.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Child of God.
    I was over at your blog just a few minutes ago, didn't leave a comment though. Sorry.
    You got me thinking about how powerful light is in overcoming dark. There is a story I should write about the time the lights went out here on the farm. I had a candle in the window that was being reflected off a truck some way away, it was amazing.
    Anyway, back to your comment, yes I know your computer is a lifeline to stacks of people, mine not quite as much. I can afford to go down for a while without too much trouble. Thank you Lord for that. You are an incredibly faithful woman when it comes to looking after God's people. Don't stop and don't loose heart. God is with you and your toil will be rewarded. You have people all over the world saying blessings over you, I hope you realize that. And now mine, Bless you Child of God, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Geoff. So nice to hear from you again.
    God bless you and your family.
    Amen!!!!!!!

    Is everything okay with you and your family?
    Jesus reminds me to give you
    Psalm 121 + Jeremiah 32 verse 17

    Greeting
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psalm 121
    If I lift up my eyes to the hills, where shall I find help?
    Help comes only from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.
    How could he let your foot stumble?
    How could he, your guardian, sleep?
    The guardian of Israel never slumbers , never sleeps.
    The Lord is your guardian, your defence at your right hand;
    the sun will not strike you by day nor the moon by night.
    The Lord will guard you against all evil;
    he will guard you, body and soul.
    The Lord will guard your going and your coming,
    now and for evermore.

    Jeremiah32 verse 17
    O Lord God,thou hast made the heavens and the earth by thy great strength and with thy outstretched arm; nothing is impossible for thee.
    Thank you Jan.
    My family and I are ok, just dealing with one day at a time. So glad I finally managed to read your blog posts, Google Chrome does not offer translations so there was no way I could understand what you had written. Some words I could manage, but not very many. Thanks for adding the translation button to your blog, I was very happy to see it.
    Bless you and your family too my friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what, it took me three reads to figure out what your pun was.

    What a long post your wrote and this is all the comment you got out of me. ;)

    ReplyDelete