Friday, March 23, 2012

Apathy

Apathy? In the bible the Lord reprimands Israel for their Apathy, but what on earth does apathy mean? I got my huge set of dictionaries out, not wanting to do the lazy thing by using Wikipedia, looked it up and this is what I found.

Ap.a.thy noun [. THIES pl ] 1 Lack of feeling, emotion, or sensation; insensibility. 2 Indifference. [<Gr. apatheia  ,a-, not, + pathos, suffering]

Synonyms: calmness, composure, immobility, impassibility, indifference, insensibility, lethargy, phlegm, quietness, quietude, sluggishness, stillness, stoicism, tranquility, unconcern, unfeelingness.
Composure results ordinarily from force of will, or from perfect confidence in one's own resources.
Indifference is a want of interest; Insensibility is a want of feeling; unconcern has reference to consequences. Stoicism is an intentional suppression of feeling and a deadening of sensibilities, while apathy is involuntary, denoting a simple absence of emotion.
 Funk & Wagnalls New Practical Standard Dictionary of the English Language. 1952 edition.

An involuntary absence of emotion, how interesting. Not something you make a decision to do, just not bothered. Have you ever felt Apathetic towards something, couldn't be bothered to get involved or speak out?
Do you feel apathetic towards God? How many relationships do you know of, especially you girls, that fell apart because one of the partners just couldn't be bothered to make an effort? How do you think the partner, who was trying, felt?
No wonder God gets upset with us about our apathy towards him. I can understand exactly why those nations, who have cast off their alliance with God, are suffering. I don't know about your country, but in mine, unemployment is rife. People are starving and no one gives a damn about anyone but themselves. The really sad thing about our apathy is, God's not going to step in and help, why should he?
Bless you Lord, I will speak out for you as a witness to your amazing love, for me and those who have chosen to be man enough to do the same.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I;m apathetic, except for the occasions when I'm having ONE MORE surgery. Then sometimes I just don't care. I just want to get it over with. I know that sounds weird.This was a great post Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melynda, welcome to my world.
    Not caring about having an operation isn't apathy, It's self defence.
    I think apathy has more to do with our relationships with others and their feelings. You sound like a pretty sensitive type of person in that regard, quite funny and good to be around.
    Try to stay out of the operating theater for a while, OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats true in relationships I think girls tend to be more self centered in relationships.
    I also know that ppl who abuse drugs many drugs damages that area of the brain that deals with apathy which is why you can't get them to relate to feelings of others when trying to do an intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is beautiful when we give it a chance . Blaming isn't going to change things. We have to look and think and realise why things actually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geoff,
    Apathy; no concern.
    Well I had an epiphany on this just this week. I am not well at this moment, fighting pnemunoia, and I was kind of bummed out with my family because it seemed to me they just didn't care about what was bothering me. God smacked me right between the eyes with, 'Do you care about what I am concerned with?' 'What lays on My heart?' I answer ack with 'You know I do Lord.' He told me, 'I know you are more concerned with what bothers you.' Well that undid me.

    I agree people are more concerned with themselves and not with what concerns God. May God have mercy on us! I am so thankful God is patient with us, but for how long will His patience last? Not long I think. Just reading about the middle east and the concerns over there and all the natural disasters going on I believe Jesus will. E returning soon as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

    Good post thanks for sharing. It really shows me that what God told me was important and I need to take this even further.

    Blessings
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gossip Girl hi.

    Girls are far more talkative, when it comes to matters of relating to others, in my experience. I also think girls try harder in relationships than men do, up to a point. I think women tend to need justification whereas men need to be needed.
    Drugs are not cool, they mess up lots of things, especially the person taking them. Never been an addict so can't talk from experience only from what I've seen.
    Thanks for stopping by, God loves you and so loves it when you chat with him, he wants to be needed too. Blessings, Geoff.

    Missyblurkit welcome nice to hear from you.

    Life is beautiful, you are right, sure beats the alternative.
    Blame? Not quite sure I follow.
    I must say I was thinking how men seem to be more inclined to give up on relationships and just leave than women. But that's not what I was talking about, more like those who mock anyone who believes there could possibly be a God who is more in control than they think they are.
    Anyway my blessings go to you, there on the other side of the Indian Ocean, Geoff.

    Child of God hello girl.

    Pneumonia, be careful, ok.
    We all tend to become a little selfish when ill, don't stress. Your family do understand and once you are well again they will have already forgotten this.
    You spend an enormous amount of time on other people,. What did Jesus tell us to do? Love the Lord your God and one another right? I love God, so do you, you know that. You love other people, am I right?
    You are not a slave, you're a daughter, a child of God. He knows you are struggling with your health and he is faithful to hang in there while you deal with this, ok?
    As far as God's patience goes, hey his love endures forever.
    Cheer up girl, we all love you so much and love reading your blog posts, they are very encouraging and God knows we need your words of wisdom and your prayers, he listens to you.
    Bless you my friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind words. :) Much appreciated.

    Thank you also for the reminder that I am not a slave but a daughter of the King!

    Blessings brother,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our hearts are to be broken over the things that break God's heart. Suffering people; whether through hunger, illness, lack of necessities, children without food and proper clothing, hurting people. We are to help these people as we are able to. There are so many people in desperate circumstances in this world. Sometimes I find these tragedies overwhelming and I don't want to hear about them, but we are to do what we can with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joy.
    Yes I know. Not sure God want's our hearts to be broken, blessed more likely by our blessing others.
    Thanks for stopping by, chat later, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete