Monday, February 13, 2012

Almost Three Years Later.

Why on earth did I start Blogging?
That's actually a pretty good question. Well it all began when I told a friend about making an effort to save the farm. I had this idea about raising finances through sponsorship, which I still think is a really good way to make a difference. You'll have to see my other blog: Saving The World One Meter at a Time
in order to get a more comprehensive picture, but that's not what this post is about.
Well this friend told me that if I was going to use social networking in order to do this I would have to start a Facebook page and a blog to promote it, more to follow other peoples blogs than to actually write. Little did I know that this blog would still be going years later and the subject matter would be predominantly God focused.
One thing I must add though, when my friend advised me to start a blog I had never even heard of a blog, nor had I ever even tried to use a computer for anything other than writing a simple letter. My friends used to send e-mails for me because I couldn't use a computer. And now look at me, Surprise!
So why am I writing about this now?
You see, I've been taking notice of daily page views recently and where they come from, countries and so on, search-words, comments, but above all, which posts have attracted the most page-views and the total number of page-views. This is what I've found:
Nearly nine and a half thousand page-views to date (I do not track my own page-views),WOW!
About 50 people view my blog each day, again WOW!
In June 2011 I had more than 1700 page views, that was when James was on mount Kilimanjaro.
And my most popular post was Tears  with 213 views followed by Yawn with 182 views and What do You Think with 181 views.

 This will give you some idea who is reading my blog posts.

There have been more than 880 comments posted for 167 posts.
Very soon my blog would have received ten thousand page-views and I am humbled by this astounding figure, I had no idea this was going to happen.
I recently watched a movie, I think it may have been "Contagion" where one of the characters in the movie has his own blog with something like twelve million followers. That little detail was an eye opener for me. People read blogs and are influenced by what is written there. It got me thinking about my own blog, not how many followers I have, but what kind of influence my writing may have on other peoples lives. A blog is a very powerful thing and I realized just how important it is for me to be honest and aware in my writing.
So this post is really a way for me to let all of you know that I'm truly humbled by your visits. Hopefully God has held my hand through the last three years and kept all of you safe from any "not so cool" posts I've written.
I have been going back to read my older posts and, quite frankly, I'm impressed that I could have written what I have in fact written. There have been one or two posts where I could have been a bit more sensitive and I've taken note of that.
I would also like to say thank you to those who have left comments on my posts, I love hearing your thoughts and take any advice that has been put forward very seriously. Thank you.
Oh by the way, I no longer have a Facebook page but I do still have a Blog.
Bless you my Blogging friends, Geoff.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    Congratulations on the numbers for your blog and posts! You are a talented writer and have a lot to contribute to peoples lives.

    I am glad I have your blog, I enjoy your Christian fellowship and I have gleaned a lot from what you have shared.

    God bless,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look closely, you'll find 49 of those 50 visits per day came from me... LOL!! BAAAHHAAAHHAAAAAA!!! Love ya Geoff! I'll be back tomorrow to write a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool Geoff because I was just like you. Never played on the computer until I had my first stroke. My older daughter set me up with a blog and showed me what to do in hopes that I would sit still and enjoy it. She was so worried about her mom. That was four years ago and I am so hooked.
    My blog friends amaze me everyday and make me realize what a small world this truly is.
    I have so enjoyed your posts. And I really feel like we are kindred spirits in some ways. I wish you the best Geoff and will be back again and again to read what you have to say! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was afraid to push the button to start the computer. We have come a long way, baby!

    Congrats on your blog, I know you enjoy it, WE enjoy YOU! Yes, those are shouts of love from all your admirers, even if it's not Valentine's day!

    I for one, have enjoyed your thoughtful, insightful, intelligent posts immensely! You have presented a different perspective on many issues and I love hearing about your travels, adventures, family, and your work.

    Keep up the good work, my Fine Feathered Afrikan Friend! (FFAF)

    ReplyDelete