Monday, October 24, 2011

Idle Hands Make a Man Poor; but Busy Hands Grow rich

So here it is, Geoff's pyramid. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot to work with as far as materials is concerned but I think it has turned out quite nicely, quite pretty actually. Just a few hours with my favourite machine, my router and Hey Presto, a pyramid. Now I know it's a bit on the small side but hey I haven't exactly got a lot of money to spend on materials so I just used what I had. A single piece of 6mm flat fibreglass sheeting and a few pieces of 5mm commercial ply. Not too bad hey?
 I started with the sheet of fibreglass working in such a way as to get the biggest base possible, I had to get two sides out of this one sheet. I found a method for calculating the exact proportions for a perfect pyramid in a little book by Les Brown " The Pyramid", a friend of mine had found it and sent me a link so I could read it.
A very interesting book by a man who built a large pyramid in Canada and had achieved incredible results using it as a hot house. To link to his book click here. Well worth taking a look at.
Anyway I digress.
Apparently accuracy in building one of these pyramids is paramount. They are built according to the dimensions of the great pyramid of Khufu which is itself built according to the dimensions of the earth, truly amazing,  anyway let me get on with the story without further ado. All cuts were done with the router and a straight edge to assure accuracy, quite tricky actually since working with a triangle on a square table does not lend itself to easy clamping. As can be imagined, I'm itching all over at the moment from fibreglass dust. Fortunately I was working outside so it's not really all that bad.
Cutting the first side is always the most time consuming but since this becomes the template for all the other sides it is worth taking special care with it. As yo can see there was a lot of wastage with these two panels. When I measured the long sides they were exactly the same, which was the idea in the first place, well done Geoff. Next I had to cut the plywood sides which was relatively easy since I could just clamp my template to the ply and rout off the excess. Then everything had to be bevelled which left me covered in fibreglass dust, hence the itching.
With something like this you really have to keep your wits about you. There are three sides to each panel, one of them being the base and the other two joining to the next side. The base was to be left as is but the other two sides needed to be bevelled, it's very easy to bevel the wrong side, which I didn't do by the way, so a lot of care has to be taken at this point. But it all went well and no mistakes were made. Time to put all the tools away and start putting it all together. Hmm, I wonder if it's going to fit or not.
Perfect, a scale replica of the great pyramid of Khufu.    It went together absolutely correctly. Every side matched the next and the points at the top joined with no discrepancies. The base was square and the height was spot on. As close to a perfect replica as I could get. All that remains to be done now is some cleaning of the fibreglass sides, some varnish to be applied to the plywood sides and the whole lot glued together with epoxy. Viola, a little wonder box ready for try outs. Actually it's a very pretty looking thing. The proportions seem to have a certain quality about them that is very appealing.
Tomorrow I will put it all together, find true north and then we will see what happens from there.
Now you know what a set builder does when he hasn't anything else to do, he builds things.
During the morning I was wondering what to do in order to get busy, I didn't feel like doing nothing. I opened my Bible and this is the scripture that came up: Idle hands make a man poor; busy hands grow rich. Proverbs 10 verse 4. Hmm, I wonder if the Lord was trying to tell me something?
It has been a good day for me and thanks to the Lord I've actually made something nice. Thank you Lord.
I must just say before I end this that Christopher has been a great inspiration to me over the last week or so, it's so nice to have contact with someone who is enthusiastic about what you are doing, even if they are thousands of miles away. Thanks Christopher, I value your encouragement and input.

16 comments:

  1. a well built pyramid...they are quite beautiful aren't they! your hands were certainly guided in their endeavor...do you have a special use for this "mini" pyramid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theanne. I don't know what it is about these structures that makes them so attractive to the eye but they are beautiful. Do I have a special use for this "mini" pyramid? I'm not sure really, I want to see for myself what happens when I leave certain things inside it, I'm told they do affect things like water and certain other materials. I will do some experiments and see what happens.
    This is only an interesting exercise at the moment but if I'm impressed I will consider building a larger one as a hothouse. We'll see.
    Thanks for the visit, give baron a pat for me. God bless both of you, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Geoff,

    I was drilling a 125mm (5”) diameter hole through a 500mm (20”) thick stone wall yesterday afternoon, yet despite being dogged by the hydraulic rig repeatedly jamming my mind was predominated by thoughts of you making your first pyramid.

    I think the casual reader could be forgiven for thinking that cutting 4 triangular sides and mitring their joining edges was an easy task but as I am sure you would be the first to admit, it requires patience, care and accuracy if not a deftness with one’s chosen tools.

    I personally would have added a base even if that was not complete. I would also have mitred the bottom third edges of each face so as to sit parallel and flush to the floor.

    I would also recommend sighting your pyramid with one face pointing directly at magnetic North; albeit this moves daily as we get close to the end of the circa 25,000 year Precession.

    I would further recommend that your pyramid is in contact with the natural ground or certainly within 150mm (6”) to 450mm (18”) of it, so as to benefit from the energy layer that circumnavigates the earth in an East to West direction.

    Some argue that an aperture in the side face(s) enhances performance but I would limit any such opening either to the base or below the equivalent level of the floor to The King’s Chamber in The Great Pyramid.

    My partner cured himself of a rare terminal Pancreatic Cancer in just two weeks with just such a constructed pyramid.

    My first flurry into the world of pyramids I made a number of smaller pyramids to create an array and thus was able to set my angles on a compound mitre pull over cross saw using a digital tilt meter.

    Notwithstanding, to achieve the degree of accuracy needed was no mean task, so one can imagine the skill and expertise that was required to build The Great Pyramid at Giza. We certainly do not possess the engineering skills at this present time to build such a structure. If one imagines the outer limestone casing made up of hundreds of blocks weighing several tonnes each yet they fitted with and accuracy such that you could not insert a sheet of paper between them

    You will recall I have repeatedly pointed out that Les Browns little book offers dimensions that are, in engineering terms, just a little crude and if you should decide to advance onto bigger and thus greater performance pyramids I would recommend you let me provide more accurate data.

    Who knows you might one day build a pyramidal healing clinic for all to freely benefit from.

    One last food for thought and cogitation; your pyramid model has just four sides or faces yet The Great Pyramid did not. Neither id it have eight faces as some would argue!

    My congratulations on your first pyramid and my kindest of regards.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Geoff,

    You and your reader's aesthetic appreciation of the beauty of the proportions of a pyramid built to the proportions of The Great Pyramid is due to it being designed, as most things in nature. to the Golden Ratio.

    I have appended below a definition from the internet. Not the best I have read but nevertheless I hope it helps.


    "In mathematics and the arts, two quantities are in the golden ratio if the ratio of the sum of the quantities to the larger quantity is equal to the ratio of the larger quantity to the smaller one. The golden ratio is an irrational mathematical constant, approximately 1.61803398874989.[1] Other names frequently used for the golden ratio are the golden section (Latin: sectio aurea) and golden mean.[2][3][4] Other terms encountered include extreme and mean ratio,[5] medial section, divine proportion, divine section (Latin: sectio divina), golden proportion, golden cut,[6] golden number, and mean of Phidias.[7][8][9] In this article the golden ratio is denoted by the Greek lowercase letter phi ( ), while its reciprocal, or , is denoted by the uppercase variant Phi ( ).
    The figure on the right illustrates the geometric relationship that defines this constant. Expressed algebraically:

    This equation has one positive solution in the set of algebraic irrational numbers:
    [1]
    At least since the Renaissance, many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio—especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio—believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing (see Applications and observations below). Mathematicians have studied the golden ratio because of its unique and interesting properties. The golden ratio is also used in the analysis of financial markets, in strategies such as Fibonacci retracement."

    My kindest of regards.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Christopher. All in good time.
    Today I worked on an exhibition stand for an exhibition I think is called the green building, or something like that, as can be imagined there was so much call for a pyramid greenhouse. It would have been a show stopper. Everything with regards to this particular exhibition had to do with natural sustainable use.
    We live in a finite world and resources are limited to what that world can sustain, a pyramid hothouse as far as I can tell draws on resources that at the moment are severely neglected. Food for thought, maybe next time.
    Cutting the angles at the lower end of the panels is next on the list as is the base but now I have a way to set my bevel so I can set the saw. As I said, everything in good time.
    Thanks for your comment, it is appreciated. I think it's about time you start your own Blog too, you can get so much more said through blogging than e-mail.
    God bless you chap, speak soon, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have done a good job, so much happiness !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Geoff,

    Joanna my partner has continually told me I should have a blog. I was offered a slot by the Renovation Magazine but there never seemed enough time. What is more I wouldn’t know where to start?
    I was only admiring you last night for not only having built your pyramid but also for writing your blog as well, all in one day. I was truly impressed.

    But you know my website is far from complete and at the moment I am in the middle of creating two new apartments at home, the process of which I must confess I am growing quite weary of.

    By the way I wasn’t trying to brow beat you or worse still show off in my two previous comments; I simply want to ensure, as best I can, that you get good results from your experiments. That said I will refrain from writing future comments for I have already intruded far too much on your readership as it is.

    So may God speed you in your experimentation and if you do need any further guidance or just someone to chat over a problem with you know how to contact me.

    My kindest of regards to you and your loyal readers.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christopher, morning. Browbeat? I didn't think that at all. You are always welcome to post your comments here, no problem.
    Blogging does take time I admit, but sharing your jots and excitement with people all over the world is the reward for that time spent.
    I have valued your input no end and would love to see one of your pyramids in an exhibition hall where the people who are exhibiting their products all share an interest in bettering our world.
    I will definitely keep in contact with you, you have experience in an area I'm just beginning to discover.
    Take care my friend, chat later, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Geoff,

    It will take time I am afraid, the world as we know it is just not ready for Tesla let alone Pyramid Healing, Crop Production and food preservation without energy input, although I suspect this has more to do with big corporation greed and political corruption than our refusal to open our minds to the seemingly free energy that surrounds us.

    If one thinks for a moment of how the world has been duped by one failed American Researcher into believing that HIV is a deadly disease instead of a 400+ year old harmless retrovirus that resides in many of us without harm.

    It beggars belief that in the USA they will now take babies away from mothers tested positive with HIV who refuse to have them treated with the most deadly cocktail of drugs ever devised; apparently in the interest's of the child.

    The HIV is perfectly harmless, but the enforced drug intake will kill them as surely as night follows.
    day.

    I now no longer go to church or take communion but I like to think I have goodness in my heart and thus to the best of my ability otherwise live my life as a Christian.

    Take care and God bless.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ciao Geoff,
    grazie della tua visita nel mio blog.
    Si, odio le guerre, tutte le guerre perchè mai una guerra è giusta è GUERRA.
    Quella lapide mi commosse moltissimo perchè non è giusto che dei giovani possano perdere la vita in quel modo.
    Ciao,
    un saluto
    Bruna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scusami, dimenticavo di farti i miei complimenti per le tue bellissime foto. Ciao Bruna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Geoff. I see you have been very productive and energized. I lack the intelligence to fully understand the intricacies of your pyramid, but the artist and (sometimes) perfectionist in me can appreciate the design and your ability in constructing it. I love attention to detail, and like any successfully constructed project, precision is necessary. There is quite nothing that causes my heart to go a-flutter more than the sight of a man building something useful and esthetically pleasing. ;)

    I have just returned from my travels and will be posting about my adventures. No place like home! Have a wonderful South African day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW... "Measure twice, cut once". But then, you probably already knew that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive article, thank you for writing such a nice article with us, and we want to listen more from you in future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do I see a VW in the background of your pyramid photo? I love VW's and would love having one. If someone said, do you want a Hummer, I would say "I don't need one, I have a Singer." And if someone said, "Do you want a Jaguar or a VW?" I would say I want both. I think I have a better chance of getting a VW, though. I would put 1960's 'Flower Power' stickers on it, and away I would go! I would drive on over and see my Fine Feathered Friend in South Afrika.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your blog and I hope that you and your followers will visit mine. We are at glossymoney
    we hope to help at least a 1,000 folks this year find their way out of debt, or just to a simpler more productive life.

    Idle hands will make a man poor.
    Busy hands will make a man rich!
    You might find you are richer in friends and family however, if you remain busy you will be forever rich.

    Great pyrmaid.

    ReplyDelete