Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Frog in Hot Water.





source



There are a few things that I think I need to get off my chest. One of them is how sensitive I am to world news.
Over the past few days I've been struggling to come to terms with what happened in Norway and the reactions of commentators to it. I have pondered this issue at some length and come to the conclusion that whereas most people are regularly exposed to this kind of thing through media reporting I am not, it has a very profound effect on me. Kind of like someone who never drinks alcohol and then is given a big glass of Brandy mixed with Coke. They get very, very drunk. Or like someone who has stopped smoking for a long time and then has a cigarette, it knocks them for a six.
source
Well I haven't had a television for more than thirty years now and so never watch the news. I don't read the news papers nor do I listen to the radio news and have become a bit sensitive, just like a non smoker. Mostly I read the Bible and talk to other people who accept God as real. My principal interest is God and his kingdom and how that relates to my life and the lives of others. Now I know this must leave others with the impression that I'm a very ignorant person and rather stupid, however, I can have long discussions about subjects like quantum theory and philosophy and ancient history, in fact there are very few subjects that I can't discuss but all of them still relate to the kingdom of God and how He runs the things He has created. Of course I'm not an expert but can still understand what each subject is about and put forth my opinion in an understandable and intelligent way and in doing so often bring a fresh insight to the discussion.
I get the impression that people today are exposed to so much horror through the media that they have become a little blasé. Sort of like the story of the frog in cold water that, as the water heats up to boiling point slowly, thinks everything is OK until it dies by boiling. I think that I'm a little like the frog that is dumped into already hot water and jumps out. Quite frankly I don't like this pot of hot water and so choose to remain in my nice cool pond.
source
When the tsunami devastated Japan some time ago I sat reading the accounts with tears running down my cheeks, it was horrific and I could identify with the victims so closely that I could not stop crying. With this bit of horror news it had the same effect on me, I'm devastated again but this time I read comments posted on Yahoo by other people, not a good idea.
How did I come to hear about this tragedy so soon after it happened? A friend of mine needed to send an e-mail urgently and since he uses yahoo for his e-mail opened it on my computer. This is the same friend who rushed me off to hospital for treatment for my flu, shortly after sending his e-mail, because I was in such a bad state. Some time during the night I got up for a drink of water and found my computer still on opened to yahoo news and there it was.
Anyway, I think I should keep away from world horror news, I'm not desensitized enough.
I know that God has a plan for everything that goes on here under the sun and I know that Jesus is the answer for anyone who is hurting, but sometimes seeing things from a distant location does leave us feeling a bit horror struck. It makes me want to jump right out of the pot. So no more news for me thank you very much, just one day at a time in the world that I have come to be a part of, God's world.

10 comments:

  1. Heheee... I'm first...

    Yes, Geoff, I believe many have become desensitized to violence due to the sheer volume of media coverage that is available to us 24/7. Like you, I have to (want to) turn off 'the noise' so I can hear my own thoughts. Tragedy is constant, and if the tragedy does not happen to us, we can go on about our life without being much affected.

    Readers comments posted following the story of a tragedy (or any story) quickly disintegrate into name calling, profanity, hatred, and sheer idiocy. I find I'd better not read those or I'll be upset the rest of the day!

    After thinking about my previous comment on 'A failing western freedom?', I've remembered that God IS in charge, nothing surprises Him, and He is the ONLY thing I can trust in.

    I don't think any of us have ever thought you to be stupid nor ignorant. As for quantum theory, I'd have to Google that one, my South African friend!

    P.S. You were so sick you went to the hospital? I didn't know. Glad you are still alive and getting well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheee... I'm second too.
    Geoff, I think I'd like to see a 'lite' post next. Yep, pretty cheeky of me to put in a request, but let's hear from the 'old Geoff'--that fun guy that on occasion has an 'Elegant Evening With Andy'... or wrestles Cobras or whatever it was. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the latest tragedy til I read it on Facebook. I haven't watched TV since my husband died in 2009. TV was his entertainment when he was bedridden for years on end. So I made sure it was available where ever we lived...but after the World Trade Center horror I ceased to want to watch disaster after disaster on TV. On Facebook it's mainly organizations asking for assistance, after the tragedy, for those who have survived, with not a lot of pictures of gut wrenching physical trauma. My problem is I can't be there to help, every tragedy I feel I need to be there to help. It just got to be to much. So now I donate to a legal charitable organization and offer prayers privately, on Facebook and on my blog. The tragedy in Japan affected several of my blog friends, I was able to offer prayers and support to people I've become friends with. I liked that because it was so much more personal than watching the disaster over and over and over...till the mind grows numb. God does what he does and I do what I do...it works for me! And TV is a waste of my time and money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to ask how you're doing with your flu...over it, getting over? I certainly hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geoff, Hope you're feeling better by now.
    I really understand how you feel about the news and not wanting to be exposed to it.
    I think I would be fine without it myself but actually I am a news hound!
    It was because of me that my own daughter went into journalism so if I were to say that I didn't like hearing it, I'd be lying!
    But I can live without it. I also think that you are a wonderful warm and loving soul. I'm glad we have our faith in common.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joy,
    yes you are first and second, if this were a race you would be torn apart ha ha.
    The flu really did get to me, I'm not one who gets sick often so of course I thought I could treat it with the usual remedies like Flutex and Med-Lemon, not this time. Oh well hopefully the anti-biotics I've been on will sort it out once and for all.
    As I said in my post, no more TV or news for me. There are some programs on TV that are enjoyable and interesting but on the whole TV is a waste of good intelligence, in my opinion anyway.
    Yes, It's time for me to get back to light hearted writing again, I'm not quite sure why I've been so down in my writing lately but it is definitely time for a change.
    Thanks for the visit and for understanding my point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Theanne and Baron, Hi.
    It is so good to hear from you again and to hear how loving you were to your husband for all those years.You must miss him terribly.
    I help people I come across who are suffering financially as best I can and try to help in any way I can but I din't donate to organizations as such, oh I do give to people collecting for children's homes and institutions like Red Cross and SPCA but only if I come across them at the mall or if they come to the farm to ask for donations.
    I have closed my Facebook account because it was hacked and someone was posting things on my wall that were rather crude, to put it mildly. If you want to know about what is going on in Geoff's life, visit his Blog.
    As far as the flu is concerned, I'm getting over it. I still cough and splutter a bit but am much better than I was a week ago. It is going to take a little while to heal properly.
    God is in control and for me to cope in life and be able to encourage others I need to remember that and keep my eyes fixed on him. He is good, very good. Knowing that is what keeps me going.
    Give Baron a pat for me. God bless, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Di, hi.
    I wrote a long comment but Vodacom swallowed it up. This time I can't blame Google or Blogger.
    Nice to hear from you again. How are your family doing?
    There was a time when I was very interested in the news but, since I've been isolated for such a long time, I find find I'm better off without it. That's fine by me.
    Thanks for your kind words, misguided but kind all the same. No I'm only kidding, I do know that the Lord has given me a caring heart. Thanks anyway.
    God bless you my friend and may He hold you and your family in the palm of his hand, now and forever more, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! No TV or news for 30 years!! I wish I could say the same. It would save me a lot of anguish if I dumped it!

    I hope you are feeling better :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree. We do get desensitized by seeing so much violence and tragedy all the time. And yet, I often find myself even more emotional, especially as I get older, because there is so much of it and I have no power to stop any of it.

    ReplyDelete