Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vox Telecom Kilimanjaro 2011 Expedition Update

I've just come back from having spent the afternoon with James and Coleen. James is very quiet and withdrawn. Coleen on the other hand talked a lot about their trip but both of them are still very raw, still trying to deal with what they went through. Neither one of them really wants to talk about it yet but since the reason they invited us for lunch was to tell us about it, they were a little forthcoming. James has some really great pictures which I will get from him sometime soon and post here. I'm also a bit raw from what I've been going through for the past few weeks while they were on the mountain and don't quite know how to write about it yet. All I can say is that I think that this has changed both of their lives. As James puts it, "You learn a lot about yourself on the mountain." My son is growing up.
The success rate on this mountain is only about 45% and the fact that the whole Vox team in fact made it to both summits is something to be admired. One of the members is obese but even he made it all the way to the top. Another member has some sort of problem and did the whole trip on crutches, an accomplishment indeed. Another member went blind, one of the very rare side effects of "Diamox", the medication used to help with altitude sickness. She too made it even though she had to be led off the mountain. This is not an undertaking to be embarked on by woozies. My admiration for these people is immense and my congratulations go to all of them. You have accomplished the remarkable to say the least. Well done to all of you.
There are no pictures yet but as I said, they will come in time. Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to pray for this expedition, I am eternally grateful. My son has caused a huge amount of stress for his dad who loves him so much but he is safely home and still praising God. Thank you Lord for keeping this team in the palm of your hand, I love you lord. Geoff.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,
    I am sure all of them will have a lot of chewing over for the next little while. I believe you, an experience like this changes a person, allows for growing up and maturing. I guess you get a point blank look at what you are made of. :)

    My niece and her husband, the couple I mentioned that would love to do this climb, took their bikes and headed down to the southern tip of South America and cycled north. When they reached the Mexico/USA border, my niece packed it in. She was tired and worn out. Her husband continued on till he reached Vancouver BC. Through this time my niece said she really got to see what she was made of, how hard she could push herself with lack of food, water and sheer exhaustion. It took them a while before they told their story. They needed to mull it over in their mind and come to grips that it was over.

    I am sure James and Coleen and the whole team will need time to adjust back into 'normal' life. I will be continuing to pray for them.

    Thanks for sharing.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will wait with patient fingers... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (that was supposed to be a eye wink and a smile at the end!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is good, Geoff. I am thankful your kids are some safe. It doesn't matter how old they are they are still our children and we feel anxious when they are in places that could be dangerous--whether it is physical, mental, or spiritual danger. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the Lord loves you also. How could He not? Glad all went well. Blessings CM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure they are exhausted and need time for introspection and review of self and their expedition.
    Probably none of them will ever be the same. Blessings to all of them in their next journey of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good they are back safely. An adventure like this is something I would have probably never gone through even in my younger more adventurous days. And from your standpoint, I can imagine the concern you must have had.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad they made it. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you choose a provider for your business phone lines, you want a provider who understands your needs, and can provide leading service at a great price. Get a better deal on your business phone bill or upgrade your office phone system

    ReplyDelete