Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Eyes

I've noticed something since I've been trying to take pictures of insects with my camera. They don't like cameras. It seems to me that they see the lens as a big eye and take evasive action, it's very frustrating. a little while ago I found an interesting moth on the sidewalk that was having a hard time with the wind and didn't have anywhere to get away so I managed to get some really awesome close ups.
If you click on the pictures you will be able to zoom in a bit. Have a look at the eyes. There is a black spot in them that looks like an iris that seems to follow the camera lens.

Now as far as I know these creatures have compound eyes and see everything as a multi-faceted image simultaneously. I'm sure some entomologist will be able to explain these strange images to me but for the life of me it looks like the moth is following the lens with it's eyes.
I've noticed this spot in other pictures I've taken but this is the first time I've been able to get so close and to get so many images. It's an interesting looking moth but now I find just looking at it's eye fascinating.
What are your thoughts? Have you too found that photographing insects a little frustrating and do you have any images like these where you can see the eyes so clearly? I think things like worms and snails have a different type of eye, not compound but simple, it seems like it is the flying type that have this type of eye.
Now cats have eyes with a vertical iris. I think that they see in light that is polarized in the vertical plane. Of course I'm totally open to correction on all these observations that I've made so don't be shy to correct me if you have a better understanding.
Dogs on the other hand have an iris very similar to ours, round. They also move their eyes in their heads in much the same way that we do. next time your dog is lying down speak to him and see how he will move his eyes without moving his head. Cats however will move their whole head. When a cat is just observing the world you may notice that their whiskers are wide open and their ears are faced to the side but the moment they see something that catches their attention their whiskers go forward as do their ears. Everything seems to focus where their teeth are pointed. Dog's whiskers and ears don't do this. I've been told that dogs see things in a single plain, personally I think this is nonsense. If you see things only in two dimensions, why do you need two eyes? They may see in monochrome but in only two dimensions? I don't think so.
Our eyes I'm told are very complex allowing us to see not only in 3 dimensions but across a whole spectrum of colours. I'm not sure how much more complex our eyes are in relation to those of other creatures but this much I do know: God has given us this clear liquid that allows light to be perceived by our brains and this to me is the most amazing thing. Just think about it. How amazing is it that we can actually see not only our immediate environment but to incredible distances. Absolutely amazing.
God is amazing and so is his creation, beyond comprehension actually, no matter how you look at it.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics, Geoff! I don't know about you, but when I zoomed in on the moth pictures I was rivetted by the detail on their feelers - looked like ferns!

    How amazing - and to think our awesome God designed that, yet only recent generations would be able to magnify pictures of these wonderful creatures to such a level to see what He created!

    SueH I refuse to go quietly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! The photos are fantastic. Bugs always creep me out until I get a closer look, and then they're usually gorgeous. Thanks for sharing :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures!

    I'm a new follower from the A-Z challenge. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest Geoff, I can never seem to get close to bugs as they send me running! I even have my very own "Bug Dance" that my husband finds hysterical!
    Our sight is truly amazing. You made some excellent points. What I can't figure out is why is it when I take a picture of my Pug, her brown eyes always show up as blue? I've tried different settings but can't seem to capture the brown. Maybe it's my cheap little camera!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pics of bugs are cool. We're watching monster bug wars on the Science Channle. So cool to see these little critters up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent observations, Geoff. I wonder, maybe Entomolgists don't have as good as camera as you do? Just kidding. Great photos, and yes, I find the idea of how our eyes work just amazing. The last time I had my eyes examined, I was thanking God for His design... our eyesight is so precious. I would be devastated without my sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great observations.
    I have wondered about the eyes of bugs as they seem to be really hard to get macro shots on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A study of eyes. :0) God made us all so perfectly. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete