Thursday, March 24, 2011

What do you Think?

I've been a little slow in writing a post this week, mainly because I've not known what to write. I've also been negligent in reading anyone Else's posts but this too has a reason behind it. Essentially what has happened is the computer I usually make use of has been infected with a virus and is giving problems or at least was until this morning. Anyway everything seems to be back to normal so here I am back at it.
As some of you may have noticed most of my posts have a christian slant to them, one thing I like to do is to add photographs to bring them to life but I sometimes wonder what my fellow writers think of my writing. I'm not really a writer but a carpenter and now that I spend so much time actually writing I think I may need a little honest appraisal form you. I'm hoping to write articles for magazines and lately I've been thinking that it may in fact be a good idea if I write a short book. These are of course my own thoughts and so without appraisal from intelligent writers who have experience in writing I have no idea what to make of them. To date the only serious writing that I have in fact done is to write this blog.
So what am I asking of you.  
Go into the history of my blog, select any post click on it and read it then come back here and leave your advice.
The type of appraisal I'm looking for is:
Does the article make sense?
Does it have a beginning, a middle and a conclusion?
Does it leave you thinking about what was written?
Was it interesting and finally was it well written?
Please understand, I'm looking for HONEST appraisal nothing else. What you say will have an impact on my writing, you can be sure of that. I'm looking for suggestions so that if possible I can improve my writing with the aim of making a career change to writing.
Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of you. Geoff.

10 comments:

  1. I am new but I have enjoyed all your writing that I have read and I can remember Her Name Was Nora and how you kept me with the story. Sometimes when we read blog posts, we tend to brief through and look for the gist but I remember being interested in your experience at the hospital from beginning to end. I think that is the most important part of a writer, to keep the reader with him or her till the last period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Inspiring Blog Award.

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Geoff I just read your post "A Funny Thing Happened at the Bar." But I didn't need to read it to tell you that everything that I have read of yours has kept my interest throughout. For me this is quite monumental as I loose interest in stories very easily. If a story doesn't get me from the beginning, I just give up. So I really can't give any complaint or suggestions, especially since my own writing has been very boring as of late. I don't feel good enough to give constructive criticism. All that I can say is that I really do enjoy your writing.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Aishah.
    Thanks for the feedback, yes I know what you mean, sometimes when I'm reading someones post I get bored before the end and tend to skip out but not often though. I do try to tell about things in my own words, sort of the way I think and it is nice to know that others are also staying to the end.
    Hi Deirdra,
    Well I wasn't expecting that! Thanks so much, my first.by the way, I love fantasy and science fiction too.
    Hello Di.
    I cannot add anything to what I said to Aishah and feel that the same response applies to your observation.
    To all of you I would like to let you know that I really do appreciate the feedback and also to let you know that I have approached a magazine here in South Africa to have a look at my blog and to see if they are interested in my writing.
    Wish me luck.
    Big LOVE Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Geoff, I always find what you write very interesting. And, I have liked everything I have read.
    This is what I have discovered about writing.
    1. There is no money in it expept if you are one of the few who sells millions. For every book that sells for $20, the writer only gets $2.
    2. You will need to get an editor. Most GOOD publishers will not even look at your story unless it has been professionally editored.
    3. An editor will charge approx $2,000 for about 75,000 words of writing.
    4. Publishers don't do all your advertising should your book make it to competion. You will have to be prepared to spend much time and money prompoting.
    5. If you self publish you pay up front and then have to sell the book yourself.
    If you want more insight then you are welcome to write me an email and I will tell you more. Blessings Crystal Mary
    crystalmary@y7mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get these weird computer problems sometimes as well---like today. I switched to a different browser and now it's doing okay. But I just don't understand it.

    I've been reading your posts for awhile (you know that) and I usually enjoy them and don't have a problem with them. Your writing is honest and from your heart.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psalm 121
    Isaiah 45 verse 1-2-3
    made me so happy today
    so I am sharing with you

    God bless you and your family
    Nothing is impossible with God
    and he is with us every day
    Greetings from
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to go back through your blogs, and unfortunately didn't have time to read them all. But I have two favorites. One is the Weekend Walkout because I have never been to Africa, and have these delightful fantasies of what it really is like. I so enjoyed the photos of the animals, your story of everyone and the "walk" and it made me feel like I was walking with you.
    Another post I liked , I don't remember the name . . . it was in 2010, about praying to God and how he answers all prayers. I like the thread of faith and positive energy in your writings. You remind us to let God do God's work and for us to count our blessings and have faith in his guidance.
    It's always a good visit whenever I have time to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Geoff, it's nice to meet a fellow South African :) I'm blog-trotting now, but I will come back as anything about SA makes my heart warm all over again! Good Luck with A - Z :)

    ReplyDelete