Thursday, February 17, 2011

Success and Kids parties




I have finally managed to publish at least one of my documents to my other blog,YAY! Go have a squizz.
http://geoff-maritz.blogspot.com/2011/02/geoff's-letter-to-oprah-winfrey.html  It's not perfect but at least you can now have a look albeit sans background etc.

On a lighter note, the other day I came across a blog by a young lass residing in England who's writing and youth intrigued me.  http://impishemj-fortheloveof.blogspot.com/  It got me thinking about parties, especially for children, presents, making cards and so on.
 Now I don't always have a lot of money to buy gifts so sometimes they are very small. Having been a single parent and never really having much in the way of money I learned that even a little thing like a box of chocolates, if wrapped really beautifully, would be welcomed with glee. This one was for a friend of my son, Coleen. Just a box of chocolates but her reaction was very funny when I gave it to her. Ha, Ha.I must tell you, She and my son James are going to climb Africa's highest mountain in June, Mount Kilimanjaro. I'm impressed and a bit envious actually.
Sometimes just the sight of the wrapped present was enough to amaze the receiver. One gift I gave stayed wrapped for two weeks because the person (female of course) didn't want to spoil the wrapping. I love it when that happens, it's hilarious. I gave a friend of mine, Andy, a photo album last December also nicely wrapped and he and his wife, Margie, were once again surprised.
 For Coleen's box of chocolates I used some red gel that I had gotten from some film shoot or other wrapped over white tissue paper and finished off with a flower I made from cutting four squares of tissue paper, one green, one white and two smaller ones ,one yellow and one purple. Very simple really, just arrange, pinch in the middle and staple together. I finnished it off with some ribon and a few thin strips of the red gel stretched to make them curl and a few stips of brown paper treated the same way. Very pretty. For Andy's I used some shelf paper and some old Chistmas deccorations with a ribbon to hold it in place. For the card all I had available was a piece of black card that I had used to display photos on. If I had had a silver or gold pen to write with it would have turned out differently but since I didn't, what I did was take a piece of white tissue papar, write my message on that and then use a thin ribbon to hold it in place inside the card. Also very pretty. That's what happens when you spend almost your whole life in the visual arts industry, it rubs off.
Go on get creative and be blessed.

15 comments:

  1. You do a great job at wrapping Geoff! That is one thing that I really don't like to do so I was pleased as punch when my daughter took that job over! I am creative but for some reason I just don't like wrapping anything!!
    Glad you were able to publish on your other blog. The other day I spent three hours trying to figure out how to get one of my slide shows from Picasa 3 onto my sidebar. I gave up.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely gift wrapping Geoff...it is said that "necessity is the mother of invention" you've done quite well proving this concept! I can see why your gift receivers don't want to open your gifts. Have you had any response from Oprah? She would certainly have available the kind of expertize that you need for your goal of saving at least a bit of the earth for future generations to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do you wrap beautiful and creative gifts, you also give beautiful words to my blog whenever you visit. I always appreciate the thought put in your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di, Hi. I had a terrible time trying to get a slide show onto my blog and in the end I landed up with pictures that are not mine, I still have no idea how to get my own pictures only into my slide show. Try using the add a widget function in your design feature. Maybe it will work for you. I used to hate wrapping things until I decided to use the wrapping as a canvas. Things are much better now.
    Hello Theanne, the only responce I received from Oprah's Dream Big offer was a demand for a tv liscence, Firstly I don't have a tv and when I told them this and that the tv liscence was originaly in my ex's name who now lives in London they wanted me to provide them with an affidavit from my ex that she is no longer in the country. Have you ever heard of anything so completely stupid. Anyway that's South Africa for you.
    One Woman's Thoughts, I wish I knew your name, anyway thanks for your kind words.
    God bless all of you and know that I really do appreciate your comments, they let me know that there really is someone out there reading what I have said. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should get a job as a gift wrapper in a department store. I'm not much on giving gifts anymore--it's partly because of the money situation, but mostly because my wife does the gift thing now and I leave it up to her.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are kind and thoughtful and they transpire through your creative wrappings.

    And beautiful pictures on your slide too;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee, Ha Ha. you are not the only one to suggest I join a department store as their gift wrapper, a bit too seasonal for me though. Thank you Lord for Lee's wife.
    Aishah, thanks. I think that after almost my whole working life being spent in the visual arts industry it is bound to have affected how I see things. There are two pictures that are not mine that I can't get rid of, one of the wall hanging type thing? and the other of some guy I have never seen before, the guy holding whatever in front of himself. The rest are mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with the wrapping, Geoff. You're just a creative person... it is reflected in your sensitive thoughts in writing, your photography, and your gift of design and building.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Joy. I think it realy comes from God and is a gift that has been improved by exposure to the film industry for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wrapping a gift is very important to impress receiver at first sight. It is an art and Geoff you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kid's parties, thanks. I tried to contact you by e-mail but your website did't give it so I've come back here in the hope you will visit again. I love your party rooms, by the way. If you do come back you can e-mail me on geoffmaritz@gmail.com I would love to tell you a few stories about a place called Kid's Castle that used to be here on the farm. I love children and throwing a party for them brings on such good fun. Love, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi... that was great stuff.. I really like reading on this subject Could you tell me more on that... I love to explore

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here I am, months later re-reading this post. I looked at the gifts you wrapped and seriously, it brought tears to my eyes. I'm not quite sure why, maybe because your wrapping seems like such a sincere expression of love for a person in such a humble but beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joy, thanks for coming back and for your kind words. Tears of joy?

    ReplyDelete