Tuesday, February 15, 2011

From there to Here.

When I started Blogging I had no idea what I was doing. Someone I know had suggested writing a blog in order to get other people to know about the farm where I stay and about the cause I was trying to implement. I have no idea who's suggestion it was but I do remember someone making it. I still have not been able to dedicate a blog to that cause yet. I am trying though.

When I look at the kids of today and see how comfortable they are with a computer it amazes me. Until I started this blog I had no idea how to use a computer, I was so impressed with working out how to cut and paste that I walked around in a cloud of self congratulations for a week. Face book was something I had heard of but had no idea what it was and of course Blogging was a complete mystery. Carpenters are not supposed to be intelligent, they are supposed to be good working with wood and that's all. Well You know what I've discovered? Yep, even a carpenter can learn to use a computer. I'm not knocking carpenters it's just that whenever I asked for help in the past when it came to doing anything on a computer the looks I got from whoever was assisting me made me feel rather stupid. Things are different now, I help myself most of the time and even those who helped me in the past are amazed that I have my own blog.
Well a few things I've found out about using a computer:
Face book is not all that great (for me) and is mostly a gossip outlet where the average person lets it all hang out. I have been contacted by two people I had lost contact with through Face book though, there is that I suppose.
Bloggers tend to be better writers and seem to take a more serious interest in what other people are going through than Face book'ers. The latter being more interested in themselves.
Bloggers come from all over the world and don't have to know you in order to comment on what you have to say or what you have published whereas Face book............
I'm not knocking people who use Face book, it's just that I personally choose Blogging to interact with the rest of the world and find myself looking forward to sitting down and reading other peoples blogs rather than making my own voice heard. I think that if I spend 1 hour writing for every 7 hours reading what other people have written it would be a lot.

 http://geoffmaritz.blogspot.com/2009/10/there-is-scripture-in-bible-isiah-where.html
Blogging for me is a lot more versatile and suits my artistic needs better. I have started reading my posts from the beginning with the aim to publishing a printed book for myself and my family. It is very interesting going back to those first posts and seeing the progress up till today.
I have come a long way and am beginning to believe that I'm now becoming reasonably computer proficiant and this is mostly because of you guys who have taught me not only how to use a computer but how to write too.
Thanks to everyone and may God bless all my Blogging friends.
Have you published any of your posts in print yet and have you noticed anything different about Bloggers?

11 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your comparison of facebook and blogging. I shut down my facebook account a while back and I don't miss it at all.

    I was computer savvy geek way before I started blogging so becoming a blogger was a natural for me. I love interacting with fellow bloggers from around the world like you :-)

    Take care Geoff and have a great week

    ~Ron
    ******

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff,
    Blogging helps one to debrief on life.
    Its a way out by sharing with others.
    Also amazing with all the friends you meet.People who you would otherwise never ever, get to know.
    I do have Facebook, yet rarely post. I use it to advertise my Blog. And my Blog is suppose to advertise myself as a writer, if I ever get there??
    I felt very sad about retiring from work.
    I had an accident and could no longer run the 'Fast Track' in an emergency unit.
    Writing became my way of still being involved. It was blessed me greatly.
    I learned computers at Uni and have never looked back.
    God Bless your day with sunshine and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.

    I read all 7 of your posts listed on this page and enjoyed them all. I always like to thank other bloggers for blogging, for sharing their stories, their minds and their interests for it enriches my world so. Thank you.

    I had blog2print (a printing service by Blogger) print my other blog into a book and now waiting for it in the mail. I love reading my old posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, I do enjoy your comments on my posts and find your blog a very interesting place to visit. your style of writing and choice of subject matter has definitely influenced my writing, you may even recognise it in some of my posts. I look forward to your next post, thanks. Enjoy your week too.
    Crystal Mary, believe it or not, your reliance on God and your ability to cope with pain has helped me in my own struggles. I personally love reading your comments and am humbled that you actually took the time to visit me on my blog. I consider you to be a good friend and greatly enjoy visiting your blog to read what you have revealed through your writing, which is excellent by the way.
    Aishah, Thank you for visiting my blog and becoming a follower, I only follow blogs that I enjoy reading, I would imagine that most bloggers do the same and so from me to you THANKS.
    I am probably going to use blog2print too.
    Reading my old posts amazes me in that I wrote them. Take care and I'm on my way to visit you as soon as I post this comment, This applies to all who left comments on this post. Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geoff,
    We really have the computer in common. Before I started my blog I never even used a computer except at work for bookkeeping! I had a stroke in 2008. My oldest daughter stayed with me while recovering and suggested that I start a blog. I said "Whats a Blog?". The rest is history. I am fortunate enough to have a Pastor that is into computers and he has taught me a lot about them and the Bible. I loved that verse from Isaiah BTW. See I can even talk computer talk.
    I do some facebooking . My blog shows up there too so I get comments on it there as well. And us girls (Fellow Bloggers) get a little goofy at night!
    Anyway I really enjoy your writing Geoff and look forward to your posts. And like you I read way more blog posts than I write!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Di. It's amazing how versatile we can be when necessary. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Geoff, I visited Aishah and hooked a left and came right down to visit you. Enjoying your blog...I too read more posts than I write...being able to met people from all over the world has been a wonderful experience...I too am rarely on Facebook anymore...but I have managed to find friends and relatives that I'd lost contact with so that has been nice. I've had some type of website on the internet since 1998 (used to do my own html coding) so using this format has been fun! I loved your Valentine post to your Mom and Dad...have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theanne and baron, I would presume your names are in fact Anne and Ron? Thanks for the visit. I left a comment on your post, have a look. God bless you and your menagerie. Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Geoff...I'm really Theanne (a combination of Uncle The [Theodore] and Aunt Anne) and Baron is really Baron, my almost 3 year old dachshund! Originally the name of my blog was "Theanne and Baron...starting over...living life without Spike"
    (Spike was a nickname for my deceased husband, Don). Over time as I've been healing from losing Don in 2009, my blog has become Theanne and Baron!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you on the differences between facebook and blogger. They both have their purpose, but I am more engaged in blogging.

    I must say that you have the cutest little "mouse".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was much like you when I started blogging except maybe I knew a little more about computers from what you say. But I didn't know anything about blogging. I started because I'd heard you could make a ton of money doing it. Haven't found the money yet, but I've rekindled my old love for writing.

    As far as bloggers, like people in all walks of life they come in all forms with all sorts of agendas. But overall bloggers are pretty cool.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete