Saturday, January 08, 2011

a Funny Thing happened at the Bar

Every so often in life we have to take a close look at our own hearts and make up our minds about what is going on. Do I live with a vindictive heart forging thoughts of evil even though I don't carry them out? These are some of the things that I have had to confront in my own thoughts lately. Let me explain:
As I have stated in earlier posts I live on a farm on the outskirts of Cape Town at the very bottom of Africa. (Have you ever wondered why the north pole is always depicted as being on the top of the world while the south pole lies at the bottom although I still feel like I'm standing on top of the world?)
 Well over the past few years there have been a number of eating establishments in a building that used to be the barn. (Built some time in the 1800s.) Well as with most out of the way restaurants set in the country there is always a bar. Now one thing I have observed is that people who go to bars get drunk. I have no idea why but it seems to be the norm. Another thing that I've noticed is that when people get drunk, especially in a bar, they seem to throw off all restraint and behave in ways that are unbecoming to people who are not drunk, like taking off all their clothes or fighting with everyone (It amazes me how brave people get when they have a little alcohol in them, they seem to think they are invincible, which of course they are definitely not.) or swearing and so on and so on. Anyway Since I live on a farm on the outskirts of Cape town at the very bottom of Africa,(which I believe is under the world), and have on this farm tenants who run a restaurant with the obligatory bar,
I have to deal with people who for some completely unknown reason are invincible and even at times partly naked and who feel that I am not the kind of person they would welcome into their circle of friends or if they do, want to hang all over me and entice me into becoming invincible like themselves. There are times when these visitors to the farm actually go out of their way to frustrate and provoke me, it drives me nuts as you can imagine. I'm not a violent person and quite frankly love my solitude and peaceful lifestyle, that's why I live on a farm on the outskirts of Cape Town at the very bottom of Africa.

Well over the past six months I've been helping the owners of one of these restaurants with it's obligatory bar attached without any compensation whatsoever. Now I'm not exactly in a position to do this but since I really believed in the owner of said eating (and drinking) establishment I was willing to help him get started.
Now when I finally did ask for some help feeding myself and my animals (they were starving because I could not afford food for them or myself) all I got was excuses as to why they were in no way willing to help me even with a small donation of $10.00.  I had to find help elsewhere which is exactly what happened.
Now you must understand what I in fact have done for these people, I built their bar,
 their jungle gym, put up walls, sorted out their plumbing, sorted out their electrics, looked after their customers, took photos for them, cleaned up the mess after their parties and a multitude of things that have not been mentioned. I even flighted their billboards for them. ALL AT NO COST! If I had something to drink at their bar, (I do drink beer on occasion but not to the point of becoming unruly, I can't afford it), I had to pay for it and if I had anything to eat I had to pay for that too. In the end because I had the audacity to ask for a little help myself I was accused of EXPLOITING them. How can I be accused of exploiting someone if up to date I have cost them not even one cent? I paid for everything while they paid for nothing at all.
Please don't misunderstand me I was really annoyed at this attitude to put it mildly and of course all the ways I could get even came flooding into my mind and believe me there are many many ways, all of them possible but in the eyes of God all of them wrong. So what can I do other that to trust God and walk away with a clear conscience knowing that I have done nothing wrong and leaving the whole thing in God's hands.
So here I am still on my farm on the outskirts of Cape Town at the very bottom of Africa (which I believe is under the world although I feel on top of the world) with joy in my heart and with no bad feelings at all. It is rather funny and although I'm broke I really am on top of the world.

Oh by the way they did eventually, with long faces, buy a small bag of dog chunks and another small bag of cat chunks that came to about $10.00 thanks for the help guys I do appreciate it.
God bless you all my friends and please leave a comment. This is one of the funniest things that I've ever gone through and I learned a lesson in forgiveness. Have you ever had a bad experience that has turned out hilarious in the end?

8 comments:

  1. I love the picture of your sweet kitty at the end of the post.

    I sadly have some issues with forgiveness with some family members. I pray for God to help me with this situation and have to trust that he will.

    Interesting post and I know that because you did the right thing, that God honor and bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick update, after publishing the above post and returning to the farm i was given some cash by the owners wife, R1500.00. (about $200.00) Thanks.
    Another thing that happened is I went to buy some pets mince for my dogs with the money I was given, I asked for bone meal at the butchery which I normally cook up with rice and stock and add to their chunks, well the attendant who served me gave me sausage mince instead, I think she was under the impression that it was for me. Bone meal normally sells for R5.99 per kilogram while sausage meat sells for about R42.00 per kilogram. I got a little over 5 kilograms which I have divided into 500gram packs and frozen I also went the next day and bought 5 kilos of pets mince for the dogs. The sausage meat will last me about a month. Thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we usually go to Cape Town on Wednesday evenings,and every time I wonder is it Geoff living on top of the mountain/hill with the wooden houses and probably the most amazing view in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elna. No I Don't live on top of the hill, those buildings you see there are look outs from the second world war. One of them has been turned into a tearoom/restaurant by Cape Nature Conservation but I don't think it is operational yet. As far as the wind is concerned you can imagine how windy it is up there and noisy too with traffic noise from the R27. I live at the base of the hill on the Atlantis side. Thanks for your comment. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geoff, what an interesting story about some very selfish, greedy, ungrateful people. You have done the right thing--your peace about it is evidence. I think the Lord will bless you in a way that you have never imagined He would. It will be fun to wait with joyful anticipation to see what that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I glad that you saw the humorous side of this situation. Blessings eventually come to us for the good that we do. Thank goodness you didn't have to wait too long for your kindness to be repaid. Glad you gave us the update in the comments.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the place you have come to in order to leave it in God's hands. It is sometimes hard when we are angry and frustrated to do that, vengence at those times feels so enticing. But in the long run, turning away from vengence is for the better and often leads to more blessings in our life. Lovley post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this story. Every believer does “good works” because they love Jesus and there are sometimes opportunities to witness to the unsaved. I am certain that these folks were able to see Christ in you while you were helping them with different projects. Unfortunately, a non-believer still has the sin of greed and pride which would explain why they didn't respond to your basic needs (food). I am so happy to see that they finally helped you out. Maybe the Holy Spirit was working in their lives and not just guilt because they were taking advantage of your generosity. Blessings, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete